What's new

$50 in nickels

I once got a box that was....it was a main bank. They seem to have alot of coins. I think they distributed them to all branch's from that bank. They were all hand rolled in some old looking wrappers.

This was the same bank that cut me off on the halves after about $2300 worth. I just know they are sitting on silver....that's another story.......
 
i am going to try to get $50 in nickels from the bank for my trip tomorrow.
 
I would say yes, but they may be reluctant to give you that many. I typically ask for "however many you can give me" and that gets me $10 or so of nickels it seems. A couple times at other branches I've said "I'll take a box if you can give it to me", and that got me a box one time, and $60 another time. If your teller is willing to collect more rolls from the other tellers, you might get $50.
 
I would just ask if they have any nickel boxes available. I have found that tellers are more likely to be kind to you if you ask for a box of coins instead of asking for a certain number of rolls. (Tellers are lazy like that.) Just go to your bank and ask if they have boxes available, and if they do, get one.
 
they should have 50 dollars in nickels.
 
I typically ask for "however many you can give me" and that gets me $10 or so of nickels it seems.

I do the same.

I think most banks should have $50 in nickels. Good luck, too! Hope you find some buffies or war jeffies.
 
Banks usually have that many, but some banks run with a tight ship when it comes to coinage and nickels is the one that they usually have the fewest of on-hand, so on a few occasions I went to get a box and came out empty handed. Not worth pushing the bank on it as I would like to continue a good relationship.


Some other food for thought as to why there are more older nickels available.

Halves and dollar coins don't circulate much, so its somewhat clear why older coins are mixed in, but if you think about circulation you will notice that you typically will get at most the following in change:

pennies (4)
quarters (3)
dimes (2)
nickels (1)

Therefore, quarters circulate at a rate of up to 3X that of nickels. Thus, nickels do not touch as many hands. Probably also has an impact into why more silver dimes are found than silver quarters (other than size and how easy they are to spot). Why wheat pennies are still found in the numbers they are, well, my theory is that they just made so many of them. According to my % remaining calculations (see a previous post from near the end of last year I believe). There are around 8% of all wheat pennies minted still in circulation compared to 19% of all pre-1960 nickels (even with only 1.6% of the war nickels).


Back to the original intent of the post.
The fact that any customer should need at most 1 nickel, usually means nobody buys quantities of nickels except us CRHers. I have gotten some weird looks from tellers when buying a box of nickels, while these same tellers don't even blink when I asked for a box of pennies.

HCRH
 
Good points GMan. Another thing on the older Jefferson nickels- the design and composition were both unchanged until very recently. Lots of people will notice and keep an obsolete design, but few would even notice a 1938 or 1939 Jefferson, and probably wouldn't keep it if they did. I wouldn't be surprised if those older Jeffs started disappearing from circulation at a quicker pace in a few years as the new obverse starts to dominate the circulating coinage.
 
we stopped by the bank today, and i got $40 in nickels. i just didn't want to spend my $50 bill. anyway, i'm not going to open them and search them until i go on my trip and are on the road. i did uncrimple the ends to see what was on the ends of the rolls. i saw a 1938 jefferson staring back at me on one roll! its going to be hard not to open it! i also think i have a whole roll of 2005's because each end is a 2005. well, time will tell! :D
 
A '38 Jeff is great, they were all pretty low mintage I think! I've yet to find one in 5 boxes or so. Good luck with the rest of it.
 
if it has a D or S mintmark, it is low mintage. i think i'm going to check it. ;)
 
That's pretty sweet finding a '38 Jeffie.
 
I had to bust out my red book. A '38 D or S Jeff would be STELLAR, as they are the 4th and 3rd lowest mintage Jefferson's, respectively (5.4 and 4.1 mil.)! A 1938 is no slouch either at <20 mil.
 
i think i'm going to wait on flipping the coin over to see if it has a D or S mintmark. i shouldn't have looked at the ends! i'm going to open them suday!! :D ;D
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom