$50 million treasure/60 Minutes tonight

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
There is much controversy in the art world as to whether it was actually painted by Pollock. Though according to the 60 minutes piece, a fingerprint on the back appears to be Pollock's. She was offered 2 million for it and turned it down

T

TreasureTales

Is it some ugly thing? I swear some of the ugliest artwork is the most valuable. Ever notice on Antiques Roadshow how the truly ugly print or earthenware jug will be worth the most? I usually buy things that appeal to me, but from now on I'm buying the ugliest pieces of art I can find. Nothing over $5.00, either!! ;D

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
I saw the story...she was dumb for turning down the $2 million, which may not even be on the table any longer. It will never be proven to be a Pollack, so she may as well take what she can get. By the way, all Pollack did was splash paint on a canvas with a brush. It's not really even painting...

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland
Bergie said:
I saw the story...she was dumb for turning down the $2 million, which may not even be on the table any longer. It will never be proven to be a Pollack, so she may as well take what she can get. By the way, all Pollack did was splash paint on a canvas with a brush. It's not really even painting...

I know what your saying, but if a collector or musuem is willing to pay then that's what the value is.

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
TreasureTales said:
Is it some ugly thing? I swear some of the ugliest artwork is the most valuable. Ever notice on Antiques Roadshow how the truly ugly print or earthenware jug will be worth the most? I usually buy things that appeal to me, but from now on I'm buying the ugliest pieces of art I can find. Nothing over $5.00, either!! ;D

ROFL I totally agree, Im gonna be doing some Flea markets this summer ;)

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
Not to nitpick, but doesn't this belong in another forum?
I mean, after all, she did not find the painting with a metal detector, did she?
;D

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
take the 2 mil---already---whatta want for $5 bucks---talk about greed for gods sake. with 2 mil properly handled your set for life---so do it and enjoy---what a dope. ---Ivan

Handyman

Mar 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ivan, switch to decaf! If the lady wants to try for the brass ring, that's her business. Worst case scenario, she's only out five bucks. Why the fuss?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
just that for only $5 bucks shes set for life -- with 2 mil properly handled she would never want again for any "normal" basic need for the rest of her life --to turn down 2 mil and then be stuck with a useless painting (abit she only paid $5 for it)---but the real price she paid was $2 mil--the price she turned down---the art world types-- now that they can not profit wildly from it-- will now pooh --pooh her claims of it being a pollack and thus "muddy" the water for her ---rendering her painting all but worthless---my point is at what point does reaching for the "brass ring" get you hung by the cord its tied to? yes its her painting--- hope she enjoys it ---wish her well---wish her luck--think she's going to need it. Ivan

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
From James Bone in New York Teri Horton bought the paint-splattered canvas at a California junk shop for a joke. But the joke may be on the art world instead.
The retired lorry driver paid $5 for the drip painting in 1991, bartering the price down from $7. Now a fingerprint on the painting has raised the possibility that it is in fact a masterpiece by Jackson Pollock, the world’s priciest artist.

If it is accepted as authentic, the picture would be worth $40 million to $50 million (up to ÂŁ26.2 million). Last month Pollock, who died in a car crash in 1956 aged 44, was reported to have set a world record price of $140 million for No 5, 1948.

Ms Horton, 74, of Newport Beach, California, had never heard of Pollock. Indeed, when told that the painting might be by the abstract expressionist, she asked: “Who the f*** is Jackson Pollock?” — now the title of a documentary about her ensuing 15-year struggle with the art world.

Ms Horton bought the 48in by 65in (120cm by 165cm) picture in San Bernardino. She took it to a friend’s trailer home, where they laughed at it. “We were going to throw darts at it, but we sat there and drank beer and never did get around to it,” she told the Toronto Star.

Ms Horton then put it in storage. The first indication that she might have something special came when, to clear out her clutter, she offered it for sale to friends. An art professor at a nearby university told her that he thought she might have a Pollock, beginning a long quest to authenticate the work.

The International Foundation for Art Research rejects the idea that the painting is a Pollock. Thomas Hoving, a former director of the Metropolitan Museum, New York, who investigated the claim for the documentary, said: “I think somebody had a house in some sunny part of the world, Palm Beach or something, and wanted an abstract painting, maybe like a Pollock, in colours that would have fit the room.”

But Peter Paul Biro, an art restorer, says that he has matched a fingerprint on the painting to one on a paint can from Pollock’s studio in East Hampton, New York. “Since Pollock was known to work alone and had no assistants or pupils the probability of the fingerprint on the blue paint can being Pollock’s is very high,” he writes on www.birofineartrestoration.com/Pollock/Pollock.htm.

He then sought to match the fingerprint on the painting to a Pollock work of undisputed provenance. In September he discovered what he says is a second matching print on Naked Man with Knife, at Tate Modern, London.

“The new data now firmly identifies Jackson Pollock as the contributor of the fingerprint on the blue paint can, as well as on the Horton submission,” he said.

FINDERS’ COUPS

Another guest on the Antiques Roadshow took in a vase that had been retrieved from a friend’s garage and then used for holding potted plants. The vase was identified as a 16th-century Ming wine holder and was valued at £10,000

GrantWA

Feb 27, 2005
Picked up at the local Salvation Army store.. One each platinum/Diamond/Ruby ladies watch. $50.00 cash

Sold at the local coinshop, One each platinum/Diamond/Ruby ladies watch... $500.

Ahh, two more nights at the beach in Maui soon :P...

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland
There is treasure to be had at a bargain lads, but its getting harder to find all the time. People are scouring the thrift shops, f;lea markets and car boot sales for the diamond in the rough.

So, Pollak's style doesn't appeal to everyone, I like him but I don't understand the ammount of money that his work commands. Frankly, I'm baffled. Art is a funny business, and one in which there are more critics making a living than artists.

Does anybody have a link to this work by Pollak? I'd like to check it out.

BTW, what do the critics think of my Henry Darger:

Attachments

• IMAG0002.JPG
    IMAG0002.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 404

Johnny X

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2005
Jerseyville Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's Spec. XLT..... My Eyes
DJ_Quinn said:
There is treasure to be had at a bargain lads, but its getting harder to find all the time. People are scouring the thrift shops, f;lea markets and car boot sales for the diamond in the rough.

So, Pollak's style doesn't appeal to everyone, I like him but I don't understand the ammount of money that his work commands. Frankly, I'm baffled. Art is a funny business, and one in which there are more critics making a living than artists.

Does anybody have a link to this work by Pollak? I'd like to check it out.

BTW, what do the critics think of my Henry Darger:

Very Nice!!!!!!!!!

xstevenx

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread