What's new

$ .50 Question

FL Junkman

Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2008
Messages
279
Reaction score
9
Golden Thread
0
Location
Florida
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70 and Silver U-Max
I haven't posted on this forum lately because no body is interested in reading about "SKUNKS" and that's what I've been getting lately with only an isolated silver here and there. Going through a bag tonight netted two bi-centennials, one of them an obvious clad proof and the other has the "s" mintmark but appears to be silver. It weighs 11.6 grams while the clad proof weighs 11.2 grams. Were there silver bi-centennials minted with the "s" mintmark and if so, are they 40% or 90%? Thanks for any information you may be able to provide. HH

Fl Junkman
 
Upvote 0
FL Junkman said:
I haven't posted on this forum lately because no body is interested in reading about "SKUNKS" and that's what I've been getting lately with only an isolated silver here and there. Going through a bag tonight netted two bi-centennials, one of them an obvious clad proof and the other has the "s" mintmark but appears to be silver. It weighs 11.6 grams while the clad proof weighs 11.2 grams. Were there silver bi-centennials minted with the "s" mintmark and if so, are they 40% or 90%? Thanks for any information you may be able to provide. HH

Fl Junkman

It sounds like a 40% silver half. It appears to weigh .1 gram over the spec but that is okay. Does it look like a proof or is it one of the uncirculated versions?

HH,

65GT350
 
There were some bicentennials that were 40% silver with the S mint mark.
 
I picked up a 1976 silver clad two weeks ago. The roll also included three other proofs (two others were silver clad as well).

Way to go.

Bob
 
I'm interested in skunks. Post them along with the finds.

HH

Rich
 
Thanks to all you guys for your replies. This one does not have a mirrored background with the frosted image. Looks like an ordinary half except for the silver rim and the weight, so I assuming a 40%. Well, one more for the pile. Now I have four more bags to check with another bag to pick up tomorrow. Maybe one of these will yield something. If not, hey, it's just an enjoyable hobby. HH

FL Junkman
 
It sounds like you have the business strike version of the 40% half. I would put in in a 2x2. I bet you could trade it for 1 or 2 90% halves.

HH,
65GT350
 
Nice find! I have yet to find one and I have seen lots and lots of 76. Once got a 300$ bag of them.

That and a 70 are still on my list.

Did find a clad 76 proof yesterday though. Anyway great job and keep um coming!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom