Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can i switch coils and frequencies the same with the 505?
Yes. The 505 can run the same three frequencies as the 705, and coils are interchangeable.
Is either know for being "deep" with the standard coil?
It depends entirely on soil conditions where you're hunting. The stock coil can be deep, and it will provide the most accurate TID.
For my first detector is it worth the money for the 705?
Even though the 705 has more features that you can learn to use, I feel that with it's added automatic features it's actually easier for a beginner than the 505. And you'll have years of growth with the machine as you learn all that it can do for you. So I would answer "YES" to your question.

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Actually the 705 is better for the beginner. Auto Ground Balance is why I say that.

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first detector was the 705 it is quite an investment if you are not even sure you will like the hobby. However if you have an addictive personality it is the right choice! It took me a while to use it and the first year I dug every signal, just because I wanted to learn. I love the auto ground balance and the 4 preset programs, plus you can tweak those programs to accept or reject a target that you want to include or eliminate. I have been detecting only for 3 years and I am still learning! I don't read much because I don't retain much... (LOL) but I was able to learn a lot by trial and error. I am still learning, so I can't say I learned quick, but If I can figure it out anybody can figure it out! If you can afford the extra $ I would go with the 705.
Good Luck!
Cindy

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually the 705 is better for the beginner. Auto Ground Balance is why I say that.

I love your signature, “It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt"-- Mark Twain"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread