What's new

6 Hour Hunt Produces a Few Keepers

PA Sleuth

Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2014
Messages
260
Reaction score
708
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Minelab E Trac, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With the day off on Monday, I headed out to a section of woods I have hunted before, thinking the lack of vegetation would allow me to reach spots I previously missed. Here is the bounty:

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1452127198.013830.webp

An 1840 small date LC, an 1801 Draped Bust LC with beautiful reverse, a KGIII with a gorgeous obverse (think I see a _77_ on the reverse), an 1908 Barber dime, a rosette with a lead back, several bullets, and a shoe buckle. The shoe buckle is a bit of a mystery. It rang up a solid 11-47 on the E trac. It is heavy for it's size (believed to be a woman's shoe buckle). The question is whether it is solid silver or silver plated. It is devoid of any hallmarks, but there is no rust or brown showing through with the exception of the small holes, but it may still be dirt packed in the holes. Either way I am happy to have it. Here are some close ups of the KGIII and the Draped Bust:

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1452127686.625259.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1452127706.952367.webp

Oh, and one last thing. I found this a week ago on a short hunt. While not all that impressive to look at, it is a first for me. I dug a three coin spill, a 1939 Wheatie, a 1947 Wheatie, and this sandwiched in between:

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1452127859.595676.webp

It took me a good two minutes of head scratching, then I remembered a video posted on JD's Variety channel. It may be one of the most elusive coins to dig and then positively ID. Context is your clue.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 22
HEY SLUETH NICE FINDS .....
 
You had a nice day out hunting in the warmer temps.
 
Great looking coppers they have lots of detail on them, and will display great. Nice one on the Barber (typo 1908) :)
 
awesome finds. Congrats
 
Great looking coppers they have lots of detail on them, and will display great. Nice one on the Barber (typo 1908) :)

Thank you, posting from the phone results in more typos
 
You had a nice day out hunting in the warmer temps.

It was a high of 30 degrees, but if you keep moving it isn't that bad
 
Your making me shake, I need to get a few hours in after seeing your keepers. You gotta love seeing each of those coins in the hole.
 
Wow nice 1801, that's some good digs Sleuth!
 
If I came home with what you came home with,,
I wouldn't mind coming home without silver.
Congrats
Looking forward to seeing your unknown object get identified.
 
Last edited:
Those are some great old coppers.
 
What you found in between the wheaties is a 1943 steel cent. That's what they look like after years in the ground. I used to find a lot more of them 30 years ago, but they've pretty much rusted down to nothing at this point. Did find one this past year.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom