6 Pounder? Found Relic Hunting in NW Ohio

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, not sure if this is a 6 pounder or not, but it does weigh in
at 6 pounds. It has some kind of covering over it and as you can
see by the picture has a hole in it. I dug it out of a hole over 8
inches deep.

Also found 1890 Indian head penny and a 1916 wheatie, a number 7
sleigh bell, that rings, a bullet looks like a one or two ringer with some
metal on it and of course lots of junk, broken horse shoes and harness.

My buddy found two indian head pennies, not sure of the dates and
another 3 cent piece, D_mn he's lucky. Ha!ha! He also found the token
with 5 on it. All in all a great Memorial Day weekend to Relic hunt.

All the finds above were found with the ACE 250.

Attachments

• convering on cannon ball.jpg
    convering on cannon ball.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 644
  • hole in cannon ball.jpg
    hole in cannon ball.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 631
  • cannon ball and sleigh bell.jpg
    cannon ball and sleigh bell.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 629
  • Cannon ball coins1.jpg
    Cannon ball coins1.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 610
Upvote 0

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thats a good day..... the 6 pounder looks like an explosive round of some sort...dunno

-GC

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Some very good stuff there Denny. Sweet! ;D ;D ;D Yes, was great weather today - went out perch fishing on Lake Erie - was a little slow but came back with a couple meals. Snuck in a quick hunt at the middleschool and got some wheat pennies and a ring. 8) Nice thing about metal detecting is that finds clean up a lot easier than fish! :D

later

Mirage

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
RINGFINDER, That Raised Lip On The 6 Pounder Has Me Scratching My Head, Never Saw One Like That Before. When You Get It Cleaned Up Could You Post A Pic ? The Bullet Looks Like It May Be A Sharps Carbine Round, CW, Indian War Era. Best Of Luck & Good Hunting. trk5capt...

Attachments

• 8inchmortor.jpg
    8inchmortor.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 546
  • 12pdshell.jpg
    12pdshell.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 549
  • cscavrelics.jpg
    cscavrelics.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 528

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds and congrats on the cannon ball! Hope to find one some day. HH, Mike

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great digs! I found a 4 pounder last week ;D. It is a nice rush to see one come out of the ground!

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
i think your cannonball is actually a kerosene burner, used by the road work crews as warning lights before the barricades and flashing lights came into use....coming out of the hole there was a round looking cap with a wick ...my father in law still has a couple................gldhntr

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
gldhntr said:
i think your cannonball is actually a kerosene burner, used by the road work crews as warning lights before the barricades and flashing lights came into use....coming out of the hole there was a round looking cap with a wick ...my father in law still has a couple................gldhntr
If I Remember Correctly They Were Called Flambows. trk5capt...

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still a real cool find. :)

OP
OP
ringfinder

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the comments. Not sure if it is a road marker, cause the hole isn't very big
and I don't think they would have weighed 6 pounds. But maybe your right, I'll stop by the
State Road crew office and see if they think that is what it is.

I can't hardly believe it would be that cause the site I hunted was in the middle of a
bean field, and I had to cross a creek and several fields to get to the site. The nearest
roads are over a mile and a half away in any direction. I'll put a probe into it when I
get to work and see whats inside. Got one of those probes you stick you know where
to check to see if you have you know what, but we use it for checking out car engines
for defects.

Hey gldhntr wonder if you could send me a picture, that would sure help.

Thanks again everyone and HH, Ringfinder

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
will take pic tomorrow and send to you...the burners are quite heavy, at least 6 pounds....hole is small, has a very slight flat indentation on the opposite side from hole so it wouldn't roll....had a cap about big around as a 50 cent peice and 1 1/2 inches high attached by small length of chain with which to snuff out flame....last seen in use around late 60s..we used to roll them like bowling balls burning down the road......g

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was an awesome day of hunting rf!

WoW!

Nana

OP
OP
ringfinder

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gldhntr said:
will take pic tomorrow and send to you...the burners are quite heavy, at least 6 pounds....hole is small, has a very slight flat indentation on the opposite side from hole so it wouldn't roll....had a cap about big around as a 50 cent peice and 1 1/2 inches high attached by small length of chain with which to snuff out flame....last seen in use around late 60s..we used to roll them like bowling balls burning down the road......g
/quote]

HI GLDHNTR, Thanks for the info, I stil haven't found any pics of the smudgepot you are talking
about. Hopefully you will be able to send me a picture. The ball dosn't really have any flat spots
on it. The hole isn't that big and from the looks of it there isn't much space inside of the ball.
Beats me what it is. Thanks again for your post. I'll keep trying to find out what it is. HH, Ringfinder

P.S. If Mirage reads this post, was wondering when the fish fry is going to be. Ha!

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
will get your pic today...been kind of busy but am going there today...flat spot would be very very slight.....wick was very small, and a small amount of fuel would last all day/night in them.....g

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread