What's new

60 years later !!! Where in the world is Chubby,Harry and Jack ? Scoutcamp finds

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2005
Messages
2,492
Reaction score
79
Golden Thread
0
Location
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is just a great place to hunt! I go to my campsite which was an old scoutcamp years ago , and is constantly giving up a number of nice finds each time I go out Detecting . My friend Tim H also has found a number of items. So as the day started Tim and I went to a ridge that we found plenty of stuff on and we started detecting going south of where we where and starting finding wheat pennies, and then finally found a silver dime in a hole with a musket ball what was that. It may have been a more modern mini from a more resent black powder rifle.

So as we continued we came to an area that looked promising, and then wham a big hit and down 2 inches a silver washington quarter and a wheat Pennie in the same hole....Now were talking! Then Tim yelled mercury dime thats good news...More Silver in the area . With Tim and his son and his friend detecting in the area we were trying to help them in finding that piece of silver that we all like to find. But they were having there difficulties. Its not easy but like they say you have to just walk over it. Thats all it takes, and as we continued I found only 10 feet away 2 more silver quarters ( 1936 washington and a Standing Liberty with no date) in the same hole only 2 inches down. Now were having fun and only 4 feet or so from those quarters I get another great hit so I call over Tims son and his friend to see if they are picking up the signals and their detector hit with no problem! Dig down and 3 inches later another silver quarter.

So now the next find was very interesting 3 small silver pieces that were part of a bracelet that who know lost it ! Was it Chubby harry or jack what a combination...each piece was only down a couple of inches and about 2 to 3 feet away from each other. Now trying to figure out the names on the bracelet were they friends or brothers or what? I will need a little help with that one!!!
But after all was done I had a good day, 8 Silver pieces ,3 silver bracelet pieces and some more wheats...Tim also found silver dimes and more wheats and a scout pin......The boys they found !!!Well a few relics from days gone past!!!! But we all had a good time! Seeker
 

Attachments

  • Old Scoutcamp finds 5-13-06 004 Medium Web view.webp
    Old Scoutcamp finds 5-13-06 004 Medium Web view.webp
    48.4 KB · Views: 840
  • Old Scoutcamp finds 5-13-06 005 Medium Web view.webp
    Old Scoutcamp finds 5-13-06 005 Medium Web view.webp
    41.7 KB · Views: 844
  • Old Scoutcamp finds 5-13-06 009 Medium Web view.webp
    Old Scoutcamp finds 5-13-06 009 Medium Web view.webp
    39.9 KB · Views: 844
Upvote 0
Re: 60 years later !!! Where in the world is Chubby,Harry and Jack ? Scoutcamp f

That was an awesome hunt, congrats on all that silver and interesting bracelet pieces! HH, Mike
 
Beautiful finds Seeker!

Congrats!

;)
 
I take back everything I said about you, Seek. ;) I thought all you could find were large cents but.......I guess you DO know how to find the silver, too. Nice story....nice hunt! :)

The bracelet pieces could be from a mother's or a grandmother's bracelet.
 
Mona Lisa said:
I take back everything I said about you, Seek. ;) I thought all you could find were large cents but.......I guess you DO know how to find the silver, too. Nice story....nice hunt! :)

The bracelet pieces could be from a mother's or a grandmother's bracelet.
........and lead....Don't forget lead! :-*
 
Sounds like you all had a great time and the finds are some pretty major icing on the cake...WTG...Joe
 
WOW! That is one great spot.

Those finds remind me of the stuff we scouts carried in the early 60's. Even then I liked standing quarters but like yours most didn't have dates.

Probably 90% of the silver coin types you show were lost from 1945 (end of war) to about 1962 (rumors spread about the end of silver coinage). This is one reason I'm always telling people who live near sites that were super busy in the 50's to hunt them. Some people think a site has to be 100 years old or it's no good.

Good post!

Badger
 
Thanks Badger for the comments....Your right about those areas from the 40's and 50's there are plenty of silver coins in them. Those places need to be detected more often....Thanks Seeker
 
The Seeker said:
Thanks Badger for the comments....Your right about those areas from the 40's and 50's there are plenty of silver coins in them. Those places need to be detected more often....Thanks Seeker

Glad you feel that way...so you wont mind if I come hunt what you missed! Understand there was a girl scout camp close by....hmmmmm.....still trying to find out who Chubby was!
 
Re: 60 years later !!! Where in the world is Chubby,Harry and Jack ? Scoutcamp f

nice finds....a big congrats
 
gypsyheart said:
The Seeker said:
Thanks Badger for the comments....Your right about those areas from the 40's and 50's there are plenty of silver coins in them. Those places need to be detected more often....Thanks Seeker

Glad you feel that way...so you wont mind if I come hunt what you missed! Understand there was a girl scout camp close by....hmmmmm.....still trying to find out who Chubby was!
You can come and hunt here Gypsy if thats what you wish! and for the girl scout camp, it's still being used today ..You can here the girls singing and I'm sure dancing around the camp fire at night . I guess thats what they do , and for the boy scout camp its been closed for a long time!! ;)
 
Re: 60 years later !!! Where in the world is Chubby,Harry and Jack ? Scoutcamp f

Man what a pile 'o silver! Great hunt man! I have yet to find a standing liberty quarter... one of the top on my list. It's funny I would find a franklin half before a SLQ, but hey.. ya never know. WTG!
 
Re: 60 years later !!! Where in the world is Chubby,Harry and Jack ? Scoutcamp f

That is a pile-o-silver!

Still waiting for my first silver. Only been at it 15 hour so...need to put in more time.

Thanks for sharing.

xto
 
The Seeker said:
This is just a great place to hunt! I go to my campsite which was an old scoutcamp years ago , and is constantly giving up a number of nice finds each time I go out Detecting . My friend Tim H also has found a number of items. So as the day started Tim and I went to a ridge that we found plenty of stuff on and we started detecting going south of where we where and starting finding wheat pennies, and then finally found a silver dime in a hole with a musket ball what was that. It may have been a more modern mini from a more resent black powder rifle.

So as we continued we came to an area that looked promising, and then wham a big hit and down 2 inches a silver washington quarter and a wheat Pennie in the same hole....Now were talking! Then Tim yelled mercury dime thats good news...More Silver in the area . With Tim and his son and his friend detecting in the area we were trying to help them in finding that piece of silver that we all like to find. But they were having there difficulties. Its not easy but like they say you have to just walk over it. Thats all it takes, and as we continued I found only 10 feet away 2 more silver quarters ( 1936 washington and a Standing Liberty with no date) in the same hole only 2 inches down. Now were having fun and only 4 feet or so from those quarters I get another great hit so I call over Tims son and his friend to see if they are picking up the signals and their detector hit with no problem! Dig down and 3 inches later another silver quarter.

So now the next find was very interesting 3 small silver pieces that were part of a bracelet that who know lost it ! Was it Chubby harry or jack what a combination...each piece was only down a couple of inches and about 2 to 3 feet away from each other. Now trying to figure out the names on the bracelet were they friends or brothers or what? I will need a little help with that one!!!
But after all was done I had a good day, 8 Silver pieces ,3 silver bracelet pieces and some more wheats...Tim also found silver dimes and more wheats and a scout pin......The boys they found !!!Well a few relics from days gone past!!!! But we all had a good time! Seeker
nice finds.....here is your braclet and site where i found it....check it out...oh,there is more of it somewhere!!!!! morning glory antiques & jewelry...and good luck finding out who they are....that may be hard to do....good luck nice stuff...
 

Attachments

  • friendship.webp
    friendship.webp
    10.7 KB · Views: 208
  • back.webp
    back.webp
    13.4 KB · Views: 202
  • sterling.webp
    sterling.webp
    19.1 KB · Views: 196

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom