6th Large copper of 2008

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi folks. It's been about 3 weeks now since I've been out for a hunt. My headphones broke during my last hunt. It was kind of my fault really. I was using a 4 wheeler to zip around to different locations in the fields I was hunting. Moving from one field to another I wasn't watching my equipment very carefully and sure enough my headphones fell off the front of the quad and I proceeded to run them over. :-\ :-[ I got my new ones in the mail the other day and it was time to go hunting. Here's a pic of the new ones. I decided to upgrade to the good ones.
IMG_1265.JPG

I went to the copper field that was so good to me last year (9 large coppers in 2007). I was here on my last hunt 3 weeks ago and turned up an 1845 large cent before the farmers began to plant that plowed field. There are several fields at this site that aren't being used for crops this year and fortunately the farmer just cut the grass for hay in all of them. I started in the field that I found the 2 Vermont coppers in last year. My first signal in this field was a fairly good signal that was bouncing from the 60's to the 70's in the VDI range on my DFX. It pinpointed at 5.5 inches. I dug a plug with my trusty relic shovel and saw the edge of a large copper in the hole. I can't really see any detail yet on the coin but it VDI'd at 79 consistently once it was out of the hole which leads me to believe it's a colonial and not a large cent. It's currently soaking in hot peroxide and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a little detail. I'll add pictures of the finished product later in the post no matter how it turns out.
IMG_1272.jpg
IMG_1273.jpg
IMG_1274.JPG

I stayed in this area for a while and tried to "iron out" the site to see if the iron was masking any good signals. In the process I recovered a nice horse shoe. After removing some of the iron I located a nice silver plated button with most of the silver left on it, in addition to a musket ball. Here is the button.
IMG_1278.JPG
IMG_1279.JPG

The rest of the day was rather uneventful. I did turn up a few of the "usual suspects" that tend to show themselves at colonial sites....harmonica reed pieces, a kick plate for a boot, etc. I also found two wheaties, one of which appears to be a 1912. Here are the finds for the day.
IMG_1276.JPG
IMG_1277.JPG
IMG_1280.JPG

All relics found on private property with owners full permission. Thanks for looking everyone.

Upvote 0

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your 6th copper for the year and your finds look like a good day's hunt, beautiful mixture of relics and a coin to boot. I hope you can identify the copper after cleaning.

Don

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Congrats on your 6th copper for the year and your finds look like a good day's hunt, beautiful mixture of relics and a coin to boot. I hope you can identify the copper after cleaning.

Don
Thanks Don. Unfortunately I dont have a scale to weigh it so that method of trying to ID it is out. Hopefully we'll get something.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am about ready to add up the first half of 2008 totals, may not get out again for about a month. I think 2008 has been a great year so far, I know my son has done way above his norm for the first half, not sure but between us perhaps 30 or more oldies(1600's up to CW). Which is usually the total for an entire year. Unfortuntely this year the quality of my coins took a nose dive, but it is the type of places I have been hunting, so cannot complain too much, just glad to recover the history.....

May the rest of your year be as good as the first half.

Don

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like I'm out of luck on the ID. This thing is toast. If your eyes are better than mine and you see something here let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_1283.JPG
    IMG_1283.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 569
  • IMG_1282.JPG
    IMG_1282.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 587

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
WAHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOO, welcome back to the coppa class again, my good buddy! :thumbsup: I was wondering where the heck you were lately. I said to KirkPA, "He ain't a better not be going into no metal datecting retirement!" :D :D

A coppa is a coppa, even without any detail. In my opinion, it is a kicka$$ find!

Kyle

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evolution....congrats on another copper..too bad no details came out. Try covering it in Noxon and let it soak overnight, then gently rub it off and see if any details come out, sometimes you get lucky with it and it cleans up nice, other times you jsut end up with a shinier copper slug...worth a shot though.
Get back out in that field and find some more coppers and there has to be some silver there as well... :thumbsup:

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice finds,

Yup those are Dfx finds for sure. The black and gold is a real animal of a detector. If you swing it with a larger coil it is really awesome.

HH Jer

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs Evo. You found a bunch of relics and a copper to boot. The dfx is kickin' some butt for you :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial Zoyboy said:
WAHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOO, welcome back to the coppa class again, my good buddy! :thumbsup: I was wondering where the heck you were lately. I said to KirkPA, "He ain't a better not be going into no metal datecting retirement!" :D :D

A coppa is a coppa, even without any detail. In my opinion, it is a kicka$$ find!

Kyle
Thanks for the reply Zoy. I've still been out less than 10 times this year so 6 coppers makes for a pretty good average.

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
christ-first said:
i'm stoked about the button with the silver gilt on it ! awesome !!! :thumbsup:
I was pretty pleased with this button. they don't often come out of the ground with so much silver plating left on them. Thanks for the reply.

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Rob, 6 Coppas in only 10 outings is very respectable. :thumbsup:

Cool button also!

Here's to 12 Coppas in 20 outings!! :occasion14:

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro, Quest x10 idmaXx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that large coppa and the nice relics Evo. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds, I lover the copper....

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Merf said:
Congrats on that large coppa and the nice relics Evo. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks for the response Merf. Unfortunately that still puts me about 50 coppers behind you for the year. ;D

xlt nh

Jul 28, 2006
Cheshire, Mass
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, DFX 300
Great Hunt Evo! Can't help on the ID..went kinda cross-eyed searching for a familiar detail... :tard: I've got a stack just like it.. :-\

How'd ya like the new phones? I had some but sold 'em...they were comfortable but too hot to wear in warmer weather.

Keep up the great work!
Hank 8)

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
xlt nh said:
Great Hunt Evo! Can't help on the ID..went kinda cross-eyed searching for a familiar detail... :tard: I've got a stack just like it.. :-\

How'd ya like the new phones? I had some but sold 'em...they were comfortable but too hot to wear in warmer weather.

Keep up the great work!
Hank 8)
I know what you mean about them being hot but I like them. Much nicer than the old ones. I might try taking a rubbing of the coin but thats the only hope I have left. I won't hold my breath. Even if i dont get an ID no big deal. I've been fortunate enough to find a few good ones this year and i cant hope for great ones every time. Thanks for the response.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey!

Congrats on the copper! (You have me beat by one for the year :wink:) The button is really cool too! I just got my Koss headphones, courtesy of the White's testimonial rewards program. I think they are great!

You may try some high resolution photos under various lighting conditions to help identify the copper. I prefer late day or early morning natural lighting photos. The elongated shadows help bring out details on coins. Then, after downloading the images, you can mess with the brightness, contrast and even the hues. I was unable to see much detail the William III Halfpenny I found a few weeks back, but after analyzing some photos I took in various lighting conditions, I was able to get the date, 1699. I am attaching a photo I made; my coin is on the bottom, an image I found on the internet is on top, for comparison. This may give you a better idea on what I did.

I hope this helps!

Attachments

• 1699compare.jpg
    1699compare.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 156

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread