What's new

7/24/07 casino nickels

Immy

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2005
Messages
2,999
Reaction score
874
Golden Thread
0
Location
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another stop at my favorite haunt today. From $40 -

1938 (keeper, a solid XF, amazing!)
1941
1954
1954-D
1958
1958-D
1959-D (2)
 
Upvote 0
Nice finds! A collection somewhere is missing a nice 38.
 
Immy I've been wanting to ask someone how hard the 38 and 38D are to find. Because I started getting a box of nickles here and there when halves were not producing much. I guess I've done 6 boxes and found both the 38 and 38D Jefferson nickles.
 
soldierman said:
Immy I've been wanting to ask someone how hard the 38 and 38D are to find. Because I started getting a box of nickles here and there when halves were not producing much. I guess I've done 6 boxes and found both the 38 and 38D Jefferson nickles.

As far as nickels go, the hardest nickel to find in circulation is the 1950-D (lowest mintage and most were hoarded right after they were made).

After that the next 4 hardest in order are in my opinion 1939-D, 1938-S, 1938-D, 1939-S.

From there, its a toss up between some of the war nickels (1943-D in particular) and a few of the other lower mintage nickels like 1951-S.

Here is a link to mintage numbers for nickels: http://www.bestcoin.com/jefferson-nickel-mintage.htm

As far as the 1938, it is not that difficult, but you don't find that many either.
 
soldierman said:
Immy I've been wanting to ask someone how hard the 38 and 38D are to find. Because I started getting a box of nickles here and there when halves were not producing much. I guess I've done 6 boxes and found both the 38 and 38D Jefferson nickles.

GMan nailed it. The most 38's I ever found in one year was six. I'll also add that what you find depends on where you live. Living on the west coast means I finished the 54-S roll fairly easily, even though it's a relatively low mintage coin. By contrast my 50-P roll has only 25 so far. Even though it's a very low mintage (9 million) East coast-ers probably have a better chance at putting together a roll faster than me. Another good example is the 51-S. I just finished accumulating a roll of those yet they have a smaller mintage than the 50-P. Where you live really factors into it.
 
Thanks to both of you for the info. I really figured that in ~50 years the mint marks would have sorta evened out around the country. I looked through my small tub of pre 60's and found several S minted coins. I didn't think I had any or at least very few. I have not found a 1950 (p,d, or, s) yet.
 
soldierman said:
Thanks to both of you for the info. I really figured that in ~50 years the mint marks would have sorta evened out around the country. I looked through my small tub of pre 60's and found several S minted coins. I didn't think I had any or at least very few. I have not found a 1950 (p,d, or, s) yet.

When you find a 1950-S you can retire.... ;D
 
Just looked it up... ;D

I assumed they (San Fansico) minted them that year. But its not listed.
 
soldierman said:
Just looked it up... ;D

I assumed they (San Fansico) minted them that year. But its not listed.

Actually, if you did find one it wouldn't be worth much since it would be counterfeit. ;D
 
I would like to point out that the mintages in that link that GMan posted include proofs, not just circulation strikes. For pre-2000 mintages, www.coinfacts.com is more accurate.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom