7-29-20023 New site

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went to a new site yesterday for about an hour. Found a bunch of trash but the last target was a 1926 wheat penny. No visible mint mark. This is the oldest coin I've ever found.

P1000732_WM.jpg P1000733_WM.jpg

Thanks for looking...

Upvote 15
OP
OP
sibbley

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm really excited about this site. It's along the route taken by General Sullivan on his march to Valley Forge. No indication they stopped in this area though.

I only searched a small spot about 10'x10'. Lots of iron hits but I was only digging high tones.

iAmMike

Oct 31, 2021
North Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
MineLab Equinox 800, Manticore
As Scruggs suggests, keep at it. I'd also advise to discriminate against iron, but dig all targets when searching for old coins and relics. Have fun!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm really excited about this site. It's along the route taken by General Sullivan on his march to Valley Forge. No indication they stopped in this area though.

I only searched a small spot about 10'x10'. Lots of iron hits but I was only digging high tones.
Congrats on getting your oldest coin so far.

Query: What type of iron are you finding in the spot?
Lots of times it can tell what type of site one is digging, and the age also, like square nails vs round nails.

Certain machines it is known that if one discriminates out all the iron, potentially one can start to miss the smaller nonferrous targets as well.
It takes a few hunts at an iron infested site to get a picture on what one is going to find, sometimes it takes just digging the iron out to find other keepers hiding close.
Best of luck on your next hunt, hope you get an oldie.

OP
OP
sibbley

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Lots of times it can tell what type of site one is digging, and the age also, like square nails vs round nails.

Certain machines it is known that if one discriminates out all the iron, potentially one can start to miss the smaller nonferrous targets as well.
It takes a few hunts at an iron infested site to get a picture on what one is going to find, sometimes it takes just digging the iron out to find other keepers hiding close.
Best of luck on your next hunt, hope you get an oldi

Best of luck on your next hunt, hope you get an oldie.
I haven't dug any iron yet at this particular site. I had limited time so only dug high tones. The property owner told me a couple owners back used to work on cars on the property. I imagine once I start digging all targets I'll find lots of car trash

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread