Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 7 cent token.jpg
    7 cent token.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 798
Upvote 0
Nice token! :thumbsup: I found a 7 cent variety for a Dance Hall last year. Yours is only the 2nd of that denomination I've seen. Quite collectible.

Very Nice Find

and Yes very collectable

Neat find Terry!!

HH, Ringfinder

Very good find. I would be stoked on a find like that.

I'm going to have to do some asking around about this one. Reiter's Dairy Tokens book lists a 12¢ one from Bard Manufacturing Co. as being from Bryan, OH and he says "...Bard Mfg. Co., makers of gas- and oil-burning furnaces..." The token is not listed in Lipscomb's OH Merchant Tokens book. The Bard company website indicates they have been in business since 1914.

I'll contact the current OH token cataloguer and see what he says about both the 7¢ and 12¢ tokens. My initial impression is that these are similar in function to some tokens I know from a lead and zinc smelter. It was widely believed that drinking milk would keep workers from getting poisoned from the fumes they were exposed to, so it was written into their union contract that the company would provide a ration of milk to each worker. The way the company kept track of the ration was to give each worker so many tokens per week, and it would be up to the worker to redeem his tokens daily. Maybe Bard's milk was priced at 7¢ for a half-pint and 12¢ per pint. Dunno...

John in ID

That's a heck of a find G4E! And awesome info on it, John! 8)

Congrats!!! Nana :)

idahotokens said:
I'm going to have to do some asking around about this one. Reiter's Dairy Tokens book lists a 12¢ one from Bard Manufacturing Co. as being from Bryan, OH and he says "...Bard Mfg. Co., makers of gas- and oil-burning furnaces..." The token is not listed in Lipscomb's OH Merchant Tokens book. The Bard company website indicates they have been in business since 1914.

I'll contact the current OH token cataloguer and see what he says about both the 7¢ and 12¢ tokens. My initial impression is that these are similar in function to some tokens I know from a lead and zinc smelter. It was widely believed that drinking milk would keep workers from getting poisoned from the fumes they were exposed to, so it was written into their union contract that the company would provide a ration of milk to each worker. The way the company kept track of the ration was to give each worker so many tokens per week, and it would be up to the worker to redeem his tokens daily. Maybe Bard's milk was priced at 7¢ for a half-pint and 12¢ per pint. Dunno...

John in ID
thank you very much for the info! Very interesting story!

Congrats on that neat token :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

alsome looking token I never seen a 7 cent token either. WTG....Matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back