65.6 KB · Views: 489
Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks to me like there is another hole tapped on the end with the hole closest to the end. That piece was probably destined to be a three hole Gorget and is more than likely Glacial Kame in culture. Is it s personal find of yours? If so, where was it found?

OP
OP
R

rootdigger

Aug 5, 2007
I found it in Midland County, Michigan. Yes, personnel find. no idea how too get it authenticated, was threatened with a University Arch and the tribe. so, want it in a collection where it'll be recognized. it's a beauty, no doubt. ya know, I wrapped fishing string round them holes fer years, finally figured out what I had. now I want it where it belongs, for it's definately musuem qaulity! hope that answers yer questions?
root

OP
OP
R

rootdigger

Aug 5, 2007
OK, I looked up Glacial Kame, is this from a gravesite or what? It looks too me they buried these artifacts with them,. now I don't really know what to do. I want it on disply for everyone, I was 11 years old when I picked it up, no idea what it was, tied fishing string round it fer a few years, then found out about it. now, don't know what too do with it! THANXS!!!
YA GOT ME COFUSEDE!@ ROOT

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a nice find, but being from a grave site, I'd rather it not be in my possession. Still a beautiful artifact.

Molly.

Attachments

• mammoth.gif
    mammoth.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 503
  • mammoth.gif
    mammoth.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 501

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Man you are crazy to sell a personal find like that one. I am as confused as you are. Are you a collector?
I can't see it meaning or valued any more than to the finde- your. You will likely never find another such caliber item again.

Don't start the burial crap up again, LOL. There is NO WAY you can tell that it's from a burial unless you knew it was from a burial site or was found with human bones. If you think or know it is then you should pull that auction immediately and take legal and ethical measures since you've posted it on the internet and especially eBay. What were the archies and indians crying about, I'd like to hear that story.

It's no finer than many other gorgets that are not found with burials. It would be a nicer artifact and more valuable if it had centered holes and a more symmetrical shape.
Some people and archaeologists always scream burial and looter when they see any fine item. Did you ever dig up a diamond ring? Was it from a burial? Lost.

"I want it on display for everyone" wth? Maybe the buyer will put "ex-rootdigger collection" on it and you will be famous forever. I'm just trying to let you down slowly, this will not get very high price.
muhaha, JMHOP
Tom

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom, if you look at the 2nd picture you can see where they tapped the start of a third hole and that's what me think it might be Glacial Kame. As for being from a burial, if it was a surface find then there is no way to prove it came from a burial, but like Tom said, you may want to pull it from Ebay just to be on the safe side.

OP
OP
R

rootdigger

Aug 5, 2007
No, I don't need recognized! This artifact is a beuaty, and will be dealt with accordingly. If a threat comes too me, yes, will be pulled off ebay as Tom suggested, and yes, definately a field find and do not know of any burials there. but again, I was 11, Tom, show me one that compares! I bet ya can't,And I will bet high! and yes, I'm a collector of recent, since 1981. so, compare one of equal qaulity! no more need to be said!
root

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rootdigger, I tried to find the Gorget on Ebay by putting your user name "rootdigger33" in and it showed no items for that name. Is it still on there?

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
I found it, Root, under rootdigger63

up to 228. now with 5 days to go. I hope it has a good run.

You should keep it, LOL. ::) ;D

OP
OP
R

rootdigger

Aug 5, 2007
I think it will make a run! rite out the backdoor! lol.. naw, I think it'll do ok. thanks! I see ya have a white's detector. I retired my garret grandmaster 2000 and bought a MP3 digital detector, ain't very fond of it tho. does go deep, just a lil difficult too pinpoint the target! Have a campsite hopefully can gain permission too hunt. working on that know, pre-dates 1700s and indian and trading post site, and believe it or not, even the trade era tomahawk was found already, not by me naturally, but hopefully will get the permission too hunt it with this danged ole mp3. need my garret, but it broke and they don't make the part no-more! my luck! but yeah, I'm under rootdigger63, sorry bout that!
Root

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, I thought you said it WAS from a grave site. I'm just supersitious is all. Still a great find.

Molly. :)

OP
OP
R

rootdigger

Aug 5, 2007
Can anyone tell me, most gorget's are 3 1/2 inches too 4 1/2 inches long, and this one is 7 inches. like too know before it goes! Thanks
Root

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was another thing that led me to think of it being Glacial Kame. The length is suggestive of a GK Gorget since most of them are on the large size.

OP
OP
R

rootdigger

Aug 5, 2007
Most are broke tho. correct? just curious about it. more then likely will hit the reserve, kinda hate that! Glacial Kame I reckon I should look more in too. I once found a clovis point in Michigan, musuem curator, where it's at. told me probly lost on the glacial shelf. it has the ears on it, kool looking, but it's in the musuem now. thanks for the response!
Root

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread