What's new

71d or 77d silver

No, but I have heard of people dipping coins in silver or chrome to make them appear silver. I have also read that in 1971 and 1974 a few of the halves were stamped on 40% planchets. I actually have a 1974 that resembles a 40%er. Still don't know if it really is but I keep it none the less. Post some pics and we could probably tell you for sure what you have.

-golden Silver
 
I ain't found one, but it's easy to tell with a digital scale that goes to the hundredths of a gram (that's two decimal places) :icon_pirat:

Clad equals 11.34 grams.

The 40%ers equal 11.50 grams.

Red Book states "a few" '71D and '77D pieces were struck on 40% planchets.

Robin
 
golden silver said:
No, but I have heard of people dipping coins in silver or chrome to make them appear silver. I have also read that in 1971 and 1974 a few of the halves were stamped on 40% planchets. I actually have a 1974 that resembles a 40%er. Still don't know if it really is but I keep it none the less. Post some pics and we could probably tell you for sure what you have.

-golden Silver


It's easy to tell if it is silver. Hold it in your hand with a clad half and gently drop the unknown coin onto the clad. Does it sound like it does when you do the same with a 40%er? If you are not sure, try it first with a known 40% with a clad to see what it sounds like. It's quite different sounding than "clanging" two clads together.

Jim
 
I found one once. It was a 1971 I think. Black edges, silver obverse and reverse. I did not find out that they had struck these until a couple of weeks later, long after I had put it in with my rejects and taking them to the bank.

It absolutely was a silver half, but my logic dictated that it was not due to the date.

If I run into one again, I will know not to toss it out with the rest lol.
 
I saw the redbook, but have never run into the coins. I wonder if there are 74ds on silver planchets too. I was curious as to how common it is. Are they more common than commemoratives? Why does the redbook list it if it is that uncommon? I figure they will be easy to find, they should look and sound like 40%ers.
 
I've got a 71 that I would swear is 40%. I kept it just in case. I'll have to get one of those scales sometime.
 
coinmojo said:
I have yet to find one... Over 2.5 million searched.!

Mojo

I doubt anyone here has a real '71 40%er. I have seen many clad that appear to be silver by looking at the rims but they are not silver coins. A simple "sound test" will verify in a split second. Silver coins alway have that special sound it when clincked with another coin. Clads will not.

Jim
 
jim4silver said:
coinmojo said:
I have yet to find one... Over 2.5 million searched.!

Mojo

I doubt anyone here has a real '71 40%er. I have seen many clad that appear to be silver by looking at the rims but they are not silver coins. A simple "sound test" will verify in a split second. Silver coins alway have that special sound it when clincked with another coin. Clads will not.

Jim

I have actually searched a box in the dark using only the sound when the power went out a fer months ago LOL

Mojo
 
Oh jeeze mojo! lol

Never found one of those myself, but that would be quite the cool little find!

Those scales are nice, my friend has one I use for my coins on the rare occasion, but they are expensive for such a small little thing that only gets used once in a awhile (at least by me). I think my friend paid like $150 for his or close to it.

~Dave
 
jim4silver said:
coinmojo said:
I have yet to find one... Over 2.5 million searched.!

Mojo

I doubt anyone here has a real '71 40%er. I have seen many clad that appear to be silver by looking at the rims but they are not silver coins. A simple "sound test" will verify in a split second. Silver coins alway have that special sound it when clincked with another coin. Clads will not.

Jim
Ditto what Jim says. I flick them in the air like your flipping a coin. I hit the coin hard with my thumb. The silver really rings in the air. I have a scale I have used but the "ringing air test" never fails. I like the jeweler scale for the Au I find MDing.
HH, S_F :icon_jokercolor:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom