8" or 9" coil

Slimpickins

Feb 16, 2014
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it possible for an 8 or 9 inch concentric coil to work with an Equinox? It would be for in the water hunting only. I'm thinking it might be easier sweeping back and forth (less resistance) and faster target recovery especially when using a Stealth scoop. I doubt Minelab would ever make one but possibly some other coil maker could. Yup, you guessed it. I'm a previous Whites customer. They missed the boat by not offering the V3 in a waterproof design and a search coil that wasn't buoyant. I would think the 6" is much too small.

Upvote 0

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it possible for an 8 or 9 inch concentric coil to work with an Equinox? It would be for in the water hunting only. I'm thinking it might be easier sweeping back and forth (less resistance) and faster target recovery especially when using a Stealth scoop. I doubt Minelab would ever make one but possibly some other coil maker could. Yup, you guessed it. I'm a previous Whites customer. They missed the boat by not offering the V3 in a waterproof design and a search coil that wasn't buoyant. I would think the 6" is much too small.

Just wondering? Why would target recovery be faster with a 9" coil as opposed to the stock 11"? thanks.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
No doubt easier to swing in the water. And I am speaking for the Excalibur...12 inch Sunray to the 800 coil which is 7.25 inch's. Recovery speed is faster also due to being able to Pinpoint the target faster. How much fast, maybe a scoop faster on deeper targets? Now the difference between the stock 10 inch and the 7.25....I would say no gain in dig speed......I also use the 12.7 inch (32cm) on the Impulse AQ and when I go to the 8 inch. Swing is a lot easier and Pin pointing is faster for sure. Being targets can be very deep with both coils. Plus I am still a rookie with the AQ. All of my hunting is in deeper, low vis water, no seeing the scoop at all.

1KBlueTuber

Oct 19, 2014
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur blue tube 1000
Fisher cz-6a, 1265x,
Whites eagle IIsl
Think I read somewhere that Minelab was going to release a 8” elliptical coil for the Nox

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Larger coils, regardless the machine, can present their own set of complications. For the most part these larger coils are better suited to fairly clean, stable, and fairly flat hunting conditions, or for the simple purpose of greater surface coverage. The larger the coil the larger the search field and thus the more processing and the more stable that search field has to be in order to maintain stable operation. This can be reflected in one's poorly controlled swing plane, or perhaps saltwater that is being stirred around, etc. At some point the advantage of the larger coil is lost because of the reduction in settings in order to produce stable operation. It's also for these same reasons that a great deal of the time one can deeper and with greater sensitivity with the smaller/middle range coils, because they can often maintain stable operation with higher sensitivity in a wider variety of conditions and elements. I'm not a fan of the larger coils anymore unless all of the conditions are right and where I typically hunt that just doesn't come around that often.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions