8 Year old boy dies from Uzi

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
WESTFIELD, Mass. (AP) — An 8-year-old boy died after accidentally shooting himself in the head while firing an Uzi submachine gun under adult supervision at a gun fair.

The boy lost control of the weapon while firing it Sunday at the Machine Gun Shoot and Firearms Expo at the Westfield Sportsman's Club, Police Lt. Lawrence Valliere said.

The boy was with a certified instructor and "was shooting the weapon down range when the force of the weapon made it travel up and back toward his head, where he suffered the injury," a police statement said. Police called it a "self-inflicted accidental shooting."

IMO, the adults present, responsible for the safety of that boy, should be prosecuted for negligence.
rmptr

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I bet THATs a lesson nobody there will ever EVER forget...

Do you think the rules will change for next year?

Do you think there will be a next year?

OP
OP
rmptr

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
No, fully automatic weapons are legal in most states, and places.
You must pay a federal tax on them... imagine that!

A gunshop in your city would be the safest place to get proper info for your own area.
Most gunshops can not transfer full auto guns, though.

T

trish76642

rediculous to hand a child a uzi to begin with....thats so sad, horrible accident!

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rmptr said:
No, fully automatic weapons are legal in most states, and places.
You must pay a federal tax on them... imagine that!

A gunshop in your city would be the safest place to get proper info for your own area.
Most gunshops can not transfer full auto guns, though.

I'd like to "tweak" these statements a little. To own a fully automatic weapon, you must pass a background check by the TBF and pay a license fee of several hundred dollars. The license will be issued for a specific weapon; to be kept at a specific address. If you move, you must have the license updated to the new address. The weapon cannot be sold to anyone else until and unless they are checked and pay their license fees. To make the sale, you will need to go through a licensed gun dealer who is licensed to sell fully automatic weapons. It took my brother-in-law a year to get his license to buy and own an Uzi---and he was a longtime police officer when he tried. A few years ago I checked into the Fed requirements for a dealers license to buy and sell "regular" weapons--semiautomatic weapons. The fees were very reasonable. Something like $35 per year. The license to buy and sell full auto guns was about $3,000 per year---after the background checks. All of that was before 911. No telling what they are today. ::)

I fully agree that no 8 year old kid should be allowed to test fire a full auto weapon. A fully grown adult has trouble controlling the muzzle-rise when ripping off a full stick on auto. It is a shame that there wasn't a single molecule of "brain power" between the 2 "men". Don't get me wrong. I am not a gun control advocate. But, I am an advocate for the common sense; safe use of weapons---single shot or full auto. :'(

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
"I fully agree that no 8 year old kid should be allowed to test fire a full auto weapon. A fully grown adult has trouble controlling the muzzle-rise when ripping off a full stick on auto. It is a shame that there wasn't a single molecule of "brain power" between the 2 "men". Don't get me wrong. I am not a gun control advocate. But, I am an advocate for the common sense; safe use of weapons---single shot or full auto. "

My thoughts exactly, well said.

cybercop106

Sep 26, 2005
Back in the MO Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes; Garrett GTAx 1000, Bounty Hunter Tracker 2D/707 and a pair of Tracker II models
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I absolutely agree too!! I'm a police and civilian firearms instructor and I wouldn't allow an 8 year old to handle an UZI or any other sub-machine gun, fully auto or not, even if it is legal in MA!! That's just too young.
Apparently it was a 9mm Micro UZI and the boy's father, Dr. Charles Bizilj, who is the director of emergency medicine at Johnson Memorial Hospital in Stafford Springs, Conn, was 10 feet behind him trying to take a picture...........
Bizilj said his son has experience shooting different types of guns, so it wasn't the first time he handled a weapon.
It was a tragic mistake and the father will have to live with his decision.............
God help him.
I'm wondering why the instructor didn't have a hand on the magazine or on a strap as a precaution to control muzzle activity?
I'll be following this story as it plays out.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cybercop106 said:
I absolutely agree too!! I'm a police and civilian firearms instructor and I wouldn't allow an 8 year old to handle an UZI or any other sub-machine gun, fully auto or not, even if it is legal in MA!! That's just too young.
Apparently it was a 9mm Micro UZI and the boy's father, Dr. Charles Bizilj, who is the director of emergency medicine at Johnson Memorial Hospital in Stafford Springs, Conn, was 10 feet behind him trying to take a picture...........
Bizilj said his son has experience shooting different types of guns, so it wasn't the first time he handled a weapon.
It was a tragic mistake and the father will have to live with his decision.............
God help him.
I'm wondering why the instructor didn't have a hand on the magazine or on a strap as a precaution to control muzzle activity? I'll be following this story as it plays out.

I don't know what a Micro Uzi is. The only type I've ever seen was 9mm and not a whole lot bigger than a carton of cigarettes. In fact, to give people a good idea of one's size and structure; if you take a carton of the longer cigarettes ( Virginia Slims, Marlboro 100s, etc) stick a 3/4 inch diameter dowel into one end, leaving about 4 inches sticking out; put a pistol grip on the bottom edge of the carton, approx. 2/3s of the way back, you'll have a rough idea of the weapon.

Controlling muzzle-rise is done in 2 different ways. The large diameter tube that is screwed onto the end, over the stubby barrel, is not only a blast suppressor, but is also used to hold on to for control. If the weapon is being worn as a concelled weapon (on a swing strap, hanging beneath the arm as the Secret Service uses) there is a wrist sling that can be snapped to a swivel at the base of the stubby barrel. You put your hand through the strap so you can put downward resistance against barrel rise. I think there is a short screw-on solid handle that sticks down from the bottom of the gun body at the front; basically replacing the need for the strap.

One of the problems we have today is the misinformation shown in Hollyweird movies and even the electronic games. When movies show a character firing an Uzi with one hand as well as thousands of other inventions, too many young people think it's fact. Hell, it was years before I learned that those low-slung, fastdraw holsters used in western movies were invented by a Hollywood Prop Master, years ago. No such holsters were used "in the day". If you want to see factual gun wear, watch some of Tom Selleck's westerns made in the last decade. Shadow Riders, Last Stand at Sabre River, and one or two others I can't remember the titles to, are excellent examples of true western wear.
Of course we cannot censor these things, but there should be stress put out about these movies and games being purefantasies and have no place in reality. Too many parents ignor their responsibilities of keeping their kids' feet planted firmly in reality. They can still enjoy games and movies with the knowledge of what "fantasy" means. But, sadly, some parents actively participate in building their kid's fantasy world.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
The Micro Uzi is more like a Mac 10.

Regardless it was reckless of the owner to not supervise and someone paid with their life.

Top pic is uzi
bottom is micro

Attachments

• uzi.jpg
    uzi.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 19,022
  • uzi-micro.jpg
    uzi-micro.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 4,350
OP
OP
rmptr

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
ME, is the micro a .380?

Even so, if available in Rock&Roll, it's probably uncontrollable if held in one hand,
or if supporting hand slips.

Yup, it's a problem when young folks are unable to differentiate between fantasy for entertainment,
and reality of things, as SS has said.

A very long time ago I read a description of the intended purpose of the Ingram. Close area denial.
Uzi is same. Spray n' pray.
It serves no other purpose.

There is no logical reason for an 8 year old to be learning those skills.
The adults should be prosecuted, at least for criminal negligence. In My Opinion.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
The micro is 9mm

The UZI was originally made for the Israeli Special Forces I believe. I fired a full sized one once on full auto and I can tell you it was difficult to keep the thing where you wanted it. For a smaller person it would be impossible.

Bassfish

Jul 12, 2006
As sad as this story is, I must commend you folks for having a very adult conversation here.

I was afraid to open this thread for fear of the anti's taking it over.

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
The MP5K is the same, you can control it either up and down, or left and right, otherwise forget it unless you´re good and strong at holding the small fold down handle at the front.

cybercop106

Sep 26, 2005
Back in the MO Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes; Garrett GTAx 1000, Bounty Hunter Tracker 2D/707 and a pair of Tracker II models
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because of the size and configuration I can only see two ways to help control the inevitable muzzle rise without actually standing behind the boy and holding the weapon with him. As I said earlier, either hold the bottom of the extended mag or put a shoulder sling on it and hang on to it near the mag.
Of course if you think an 8 year old can handle a sub-machine gun on his own you obviously aren't smart enough to properly assist.............

Makes you wonder if the dad wanted the instructor to let the boy do it on his own to get a better 'pic'. That's apparently what he was doing when the accident happened.

How could you ever get over something like that?!?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions