What's new

$87 in halves, $8 in Ikes, 2 nickel boxes

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2009
Messages
2,560
Reaction score
1,100
Golden Thread
0
Location
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had about an hour and a half to kill today while waiting on my grandmother to get out of physical therapy, so I decided to hit as many banks as I could looking for halves and large dollars. I have discovered a few banks that might be conducive to this, and some that obviously won't be. At slightly more than half the banks, the teller just simply said "no" without even checking to see if any of the other tellers might have a few. I assume that means 1 of 3 things: either the teller just didn't want to take the time to check, one or more of the tellers hoard these for themselves, or they "save" them for some other customer. At any rate, I assume I will never score a half - clad or otherwise - from these banks, although I might give each one more shot in the future to make sure. At the other banks (figure I hit about 15 or so total), the tellers were VERY friendly and asked every other teller if they had any of what I was looking for. Most banks had none or maybe just 2 or 3. Did score $63 in halves at one, and $15.50 at another along with 8 large dollars. I was really in the mood to CRH so I picked up 2 boxes of nickels to pacify myself a bit.

The finds:

$8 in large dollars were all clad Ikes, as expected

$87 in halves produced a single, obviously in a fire, warped, blackened, ugly '64 Kennedy (but I'll take it)

Nickel box 1: 16 pre-1960 Jeffersons w/2 wars: '39, '41S, '42, '43S, '43P, '46(2), '48D, '49D, '52D, '55D(2), '56D(2), '58D, '59D

Nickel box 2: 27 pre-'60 Jeffersons w/2 wars: '39, '40(2), '42, '44P, '45P, "46(3), '47, '47D, '48, '49, '52, '53D, '54, '54D, '55D, '56(2), '57D, '58D, '59, '59D(4)

Pretty meager finds, but its actually more silver than I usually found back when I was doing 2-4 boxes of halves weekly.
 
Upvote 0
at least you hit some silver. Looks like the nickels were pretty good for you.
 
Nickels are almost guaranteed to find some keepers. A little is better than nothing! Good finds.

-bigJ
 
Some silver better than no silver :thumbsup:
HH..Miner
 
I always ask tellers to ask other tellers or if i have an account to check the back. You have nothing to lose usually. Sometimes its another teller who checks for silver but more often another teller is friendlier and has gotten me halves. I cant tell you how often 1 teller says there are no more and just overhearing another teller goes and gets some for me. Its also been my experience that people [tellers] are often just lazy or stupid. Just remember you get more flies with honey then you do with vinegar.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom