90%ers : 40%ers

323GTX

Jan 15, 2013
Columbus, OH & Beijing, PRC
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What would be a fair and mutually equitable ratio for a trade of 90%ers for 40%ers?

Objectively speaking, the melt value of one 90% is approximately 2.44x that of a 40%er. If rounded to something workable, we’re talking two 90%ers for five 40%ers. (2 : 5)

But since 90%ers are more popular and “liquid,” I’m assuming that any trade would have to favor the person giving up the 90%ers for the 40s.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, especially from those who have actually done this.

Upvote 0
I was hoping 3:1 on craigslist, but I was thinking of upping it a little more and asking for 18 90's for 50 40's. The other person would walk away with .8 more oz of silver to attract them to do the trade.

Who knows, tho ugh.

May have to factor in the amount of "slag" material that has to be taken off a 90% vs a 40% if you are trading for silver only. Much more of a pain to get 60% slag off i would think rather than 10%.

What would be a fair and mutually equitable ratio for a trade of 90%ers for 40%ers?

Objectively speaking, the melt value of one 90% is approximately 2.44x that of a 40%er. If rounded to something workable, we’re talking two 90%ers for five 40%ers. (2 : 5)

But since 90%ers are more popular and “liquid,” I’m assuming that any trade would have to favor the person giving up the 90%ers for the 40s.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, especially from those who have actually done this.

I didn't make this, another member did, but I use it occasionally to deal with people:

View attachment 783696

HH
- DS

An "even" swap would be 2.25 40% per 1 90%. Personally, I'd have to have at least 4 40% per 90% to even think about swapping "down", unless we're talking a very large quantity. You might be able to find someone willing to swap 3-1, but I'd be very surprised if you can do much better than that, and would be somewhat surprised if you could even do that.

Glad to know someone uses my chart! Cool.

I sure do! I saved it to my Dropbox and use it on my Android phone, PC, and my iPad, lol! Very handy. I don't usually get exactly what the chart specifies, but it's still a very good tool!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back