Scott (Mich)
Sr. Member
Hi All,
I just got done searching through 98 rolls of cents. I actually had an even 100 rolls but I somehow misplaced two of them so only have data from 98. They were a Christmas gift from my wife – she went to a bank and picked them up for along with some other coins for me to search through.
These are what I found in the 4,900 cents
Zinc 1982 and newer 2,132 (43.4%)
1959 to 1982 copper memorial 2,636 (53.6%)
Wheat cents 14 (0.6%)
Canadian Cents 118 (2.4%)
Also included in the above, the number of “S” San Francisco Memorial cents (up to 1974) was 8. So just as I have found in the past, S mint cents are harder to find then Wheaties in my area.
The Wheaties were mostly from the 40’s to 50’s. I think I had one in the 20’s. The Canadian cents were from 1943 to 1998.
All of the rolls had address labels and/or names/account numbers on them, so they were all turned in to the bank from local people.
I had many rolls with brand new looking 1982, 1983, and 1984 cents mixed in. Boy those zinc cents did not keep well even though they had the mint shine. There were gray blotches on what would be otherwise uncirculated cents. It was really easy to spot 1982 copper versus zinc cents. The copper cents still looked new and the zinc ones were starting to corrode. I double checked them by sound, zinc sounds dull, copper has a better bell sound when dropped on a wooden table.
I think only two rolls had cents newer then 1998. It appears that most of the cents were squirreled away in the mid-80’s and only rolled up just before Christmas.
I know when I have kept a tally of my current pocket change I usually average around 20% copper to 80% zinc cents, so the above findings was a pleasant surprise.
I have had my fill of cents for now. I can understand why you penny searchers would use the Ryedale. I think I would go nuts try to do this on a regular basis.
Happy Hunting,
Scott (Mich)
I just got done searching through 98 rolls of cents. I actually had an even 100 rolls but I somehow misplaced two of them so only have data from 98. They were a Christmas gift from my wife – she went to a bank and picked them up for along with some other coins for me to search through.
These are what I found in the 4,900 cents
Zinc 1982 and newer 2,132 (43.4%)
1959 to 1982 copper memorial 2,636 (53.6%)
Wheat cents 14 (0.6%)
Canadian Cents 118 (2.4%)
Also included in the above, the number of “S” San Francisco Memorial cents (up to 1974) was 8. So just as I have found in the past, S mint cents are harder to find then Wheaties in my area.
The Wheaties were mostly from the 40’s to 50’s. I think I had one in the 20’s. The Canadian cents were from 1943 to 1998.
All of the rolls had address labels and/or names/account numbers on them, so they were all turned in to the bank from local people.
I had many rolls with brand new looking 1982, 1983, and 1984 cents mixed in. Boy those zinc cents did not keep well even though they had the mint shine. There were gray blotches on what would be otherwise uncirculated cents. It was really easy to spot 1982 copper versus zinc cents. The copper cents still looked new and the zinc ones were starting to corrode. I double checked them by sound, zinc sounds dull, copper has a better bell sound when dropped on a wooden table.
I think only two rolls had cents newer then 1998. It appears that most of the cents were squirreled away in the mid-80’s and only rolled up just before Christmas.
I know when I have kept a tally of my current pocket change I usually average around 20% copper to 80% zinc cents, so the above findings was a pleasant surprise.
I have had my fill of cents for now. I can understand why you penny searchers would use the Ryedale. I think I would go nuts try to do this on a regular basis.
Happy Hunting,
Scott (Mich)
Upvote
0

I agree a bit low on the wheats. I typically find between 8 and 12 per $25 face in mixed pennies. 






