9v battery issues

rocksolid

Greenie
Nov 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
9V batterys seem to vary a bit in dimensions. Being as I'm considering buying a Fisher F2, this is a issue.
So, I got out the vernier caliper and took measurements on a few different 9v batterys that I have around.
Dims from base to top of plain connection.
Duracell Alk. 1.864"
Energizier Max Alk. 1.862"
Panasonic Industrial Alk. 1.848"
HF Recargable NiMH 1.899"

FYI Panasonic Ind Professional 9v 6LR61-9V 8 pk. available from :
batterywarehousedirect

Among others.

Does anybody know of one that is smaller than my examples?

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ones that came with my F2 fit with no problem. Not Sure what brand they were though.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
thiry thousands spread is not an issue, f2 notwithstanding. All batteries meet certain industry standards for size tolerance and all devices are designed around that standard. I just dont see how a certain metal detector can have issues with a certain battery.

OP
OP
rocksolid

rocksolid

Greenie
Nov 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
gleaner1 said:
thiry thousands spread is not an issue, f2 notwithstanding. All batteries meet certain industry standards for size tolerance and all devices are designed around that standard. I just dont see how a certain metal detector can have issues with a certain battery.
Apparently all mfrs. who use a 9 volt in their products have not designed around this standard size.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_battery_sizes
Even five thousandths interference is too much because we are working with plastic and thin metal. Not very strong stuff.
The issue is whether it requires a certain battery to fit in the battery compartment. It is not a problem with just one battery, but several. I'm considering buying a F2 in spite of this flaw. I'm told that the 9v batterys supplied work well. I'll be measuring them and using a industrial grade battery that equals or is smaller than the OEM battery.

OP
OP
rocksolid

rocksolid

Greenie
Nov 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just got my F2 yesterday. Came with Energizer Max batterys, which are the same size as Duracells. Seemed to fit OK. Maybe some changes were made to the design to improve fit. :) Contact tabs are thin as other owners mentioned. Gonna be watching them for fatigue. Looking forward to using it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread