What can you do with a cannon!

Rugger

Mar 25, 2011
Last year I came across a story that this diver found a cannon in forty ft of water, how it got there no one knows.I do know it broke true the ice
about 90 yrs ago. This person said it appeared to be a small bore and had inscription on it but fail to right it down.
I purchased a seaview camera with a sea tracker and done some search on a small pontoon boat with an electric motor and later found out I was slightly of course but this year ???? .The diver in question estimated it to be 100 ft from shore but underwater distance is not exactly the same on the surface.
By the way I have another confirmation from a second person that this cannon does exist so I may succeed in retrieve it.
All this is happening in the Province of Quebec,this place has a wealth of treasures but not well documented as the main language is French
Difficult in doing research.
Rugger

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you have an underwater detector I'd definitely go for it. Or if you don't I'd get one. Don't know for sure what you might do with it if you find it, but it'd be fun to find and salvage.
Luvsdux

OP
OP
R

Rugger

Mar 25, 2011
luvsdux said:
If you have an underwater detector I'd definitely go for it. Or if you don't I'd get one. Don't know for sure what you might do with it if you find it, but it'd be fun to find and salvage.
Luvsdux
I do have one but the cannon is visible,the breach is buried with part of the cannon sticking up.
what i need to do is run the camera with a laptop and record the site.
This will indicate the next to be taken.

relicminer

Dec 31, 2010
Pike County Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro-pointer, Lecshe Digging Tool, Predator Mauler T-Handle
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh boy, the things I could do with a cannon, I'm from Kentucky, we think everyone should own one!!!! lol :icon_thumleft:

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
My boss used to have a 12 pounder. He use to fire it off every 4th of july. Then were he lives started getting built up, and the concussion produced by firing it was breaking peoples windows. He had to make it disappear :laughing9:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a half scale Napoleon, and a mortar, and I shoot both. Far as I'm concerned, the bigger the bang and the more smoke, the better it is. I shoot four inch cans of concrete out of the mortar, and 2" steel ball bearings out of the cannon. I have a friend that has a mortar that shoots 16 lb. bowling balls plumb out of sight. Awesome.
First time he shot it, he brought it out to my place, and we took it out to the hay field to try out. We were a couple of 50 year old over grown kids, and only had one bowling ball. He says, lets try 3 ounces of powder. Poof went the powder, boink, boink, boink went the ball. So using the wisdom and knowledge of most rednecks -- you know, "hey y'all, watch this," -- we decide to try 5 ounces of powder. Folks, you don't get double the bang for double the powder, there is some sort of ex-potential mathematics involved, and a little more powder goes a long way. Next, because we only had one bowling ball, we decided to shoot it up the hill, so it would roll back down and we wouldn't have to chase it so far. Hey, redneck wisdom at work again. So he lights the fuse, the cannon goes BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM, there is a huge cloud of smoke, and I could see the bowling ball, getting smaller and smaller, going and going, and it's not starting down, then I realize OMG, it's not going to hit the hill, it's going over the hill, and there is a dear old widow lady that lives over the hill, and my life is passing before my eyes because she is going to want to know why a 16 pound bowling ball landed in her bean patch. The ball, having achieved terminal velocity, with the air was whistling past the finger holes, that ball came screaming out of the sky. Although the darn thing did go over the hill, it stayed on my side of the fence, and missed the lady's house by a good 3/8's of a mile, in which process we learned a bit more redneck wisdom. Shooting the mortar 90 degrees to the left would have had a safety factor of several miles, and I sure didn't like the feeling when I realized the ball was going over the hill, and couldn't judge how far or call it back.

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a very nice bronze cannon that I made several years back.. I made the mold, melted the bronze and poured the bronze in my sand cast. Then I drilled it out on my lathe and finished it up. Made a carriage and since then, I have had a ball with it.

Tonight at midnight, I will fire it off.... having my closest neighbors over a mile away helps too. :icon_pirat:

It weighs about 28 pounds and is 22 inches long from cascabel to muzzle.

My next one will be approximately double the size of this one

OP
OP
R

Rugger

Mar 25, 2011
bartholomewroberts said:
I have a very nice bronze cannon that I made several years back.. I made the mold, melted the bronze and poured the bronze in my sand cast. Then I drilled it out on my lathe and finished it up. Made a carriage and since then, I have had a ball with it.

Tonight at midnight, I will fire it off.... having my closest neighbors over a mile away helps too. :icon_pirat:

It sounds like fun,where in Canada do live in?

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rugger said:
bartholomewroberts said:

I like in the Kootenays in B.C. Where are you??

OP
OP
R

Rugger

Mar 25, 2011
bartholomewroberts said:
Rugger said:
bartholomewroberts said:

I like in the Kootenays in B.C. Where are you??

Oh yes God,s gold country
I live about 1hr drive north of Ottawa in the Upper Laurentide area ( Happy New year to all)

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dam! I didn't want a canon until I read all the posts, I thought I had enough hobbies already. LOL Happy New Year all.
luvsdux

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a photo of the one I built..

Attachments

• cannon.jpg
    cannon.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 249

ntt

Dec 20, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks heavy, but i really want one!!!

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice job bart. It almost looks like the carriage my brother built for a 1 pounder swivel gun that he has.

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rugger said:
bartholomewroberts said:
Here is a photo of the one I built..

That,s a beautiful piece and I guess it works ! Is it cast iron???

It is made from bronze... actually, cannon bronze... slightly different from regular copper/tin bronze... It works and fires like a dream.

Last night, midnight, I went out to my fields and cranked it off.

There is just something about the loud concussive sound that a cannon makes. :icon_pirat:

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red James cash said:
Nice job bart. It almost looks like the carriage my brother built for a 1 pounder swivel gun that he has.

Thank you RJC This carriage is made from Phillipine mahogany... Did your brother make his? Is it bronze or Cast iron?

I am always on the lookout for new plans and projects, so if he wants to send me the specs on it.... ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread