What's new

A 2 cent coin, a Flying Eagle cent and my best looking Barber Dime !

RestoringYourFinds

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2012
Messages
293
Reaction score
186
Golden Thread
0
Location
Westchester, NY + FRANCE
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

Last Saturday, I went MDing to a park with my detecting buddy doninbrewster. It was an awesome day out ! Beautiful weather, we had had some rain a few days before and therefore the ground conditions were about perfect.

We had a slow start but things went better when Don told me we should try a specific area of the park. Actually, on other occasions, I had already covered a bit of that area but pretty fast and always had clad only. I was a little hesitant. Was I wrong !

A Jew's harp and a dreddle (did I spell that right??)
IMG_2948.webp

3 IH

IMG_2952.webp

My first 2 cent coin (1865) !!

IMG_2954.webpIMG_2955.webp

A nice button. Could somebody help me ID it?

IMG_2956.webpIMG_2957.webp

My first Flying Eagle Cent !! (1858) That one was a little funny. I actually thought I had an IH when I found it. It was all crusty. I started cleaning it when I came home. Anyway I would hold it, I would not see the Indian Head... And then... I saw the Eagle ! Yes, it is worn... But I'm ecstatic !

IMG_2958.webp

My nicest Barber Dime !

IMG_2959.webpIMG_2961.webp

Happy hunting to all !
 
Last edited:
Upvote 46
not a dreidel - that's a gambling top - sometimes called a give and take - in your case - put and take -it looks
yours looks like early 1900s - think your button is late 1800s early 1900s
nice finds

Thanks for the info CASPER-2 !
 
Thanks NEPADIGGER7, cjon455 and against the wind.

If I remember correctly, the park opened in the 1860s.
 
Very nice hunt. That Barber Dime is in excellent shape. Congrats on your first 2 Center & your Flying Eagle. It took me 13 yrs. to find my first "Flyer".
 
Congrats on the absolutely awesome finds- you just don't see many flying eagle cents on this, or any forum.

-- Jeff --
 
You did well Charles. I figure I'd throw in the photo I took when we finished detecting including a first for me, an 1852 3 cent silver.
20150912_140019 finds 9-13-15.webp
 
You did well Charles. I figure I'd throw in the photo I took when we finished detecting including a first for me, an 1852 3 cent silver.
View attachment 1213293
 
Great finds! Congrats on the two cent piece!
 
The flying eagle cent has eluded me thus far. Congrats again!
 
You did well Charles. I figure I'd throw in the photo I took when we finished detecting including a first for me, an 1852 3 cent silver.
View attachment 1213293

Thanks Don ! Congrats on that more than well deserved 3 cents. We had a fantastic day ! That "family picture" looks great.
 
Not everything that site's list are correct, as the other finds do predate this description.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/101151699/vintage-brass-dreidel-rare-spinner

dreidel is a jewish top - its not a dreidel
I was told by more than a few older gentlemen (which have prob passed - cause I found mine when I was 18 in 1981)
they were used for gambling - now whether that were from a kids game and adults took them ???
mine has P1...P2...T1...T2...ALL---Gentlemen would lets say ante up - they would put a nickel in the pot and then spin
if you get the all - you get the whole pot -which is the real goal
if you get P2 ..you have to add 2 more to pot - T2 you get to take 2 out
ones ive seen are all about the same size but have different styles of writing on them - friend of mine has found one similar to this one

not extremely "rare" - though not a common find - Ive seen like 6 over the yrs - it is a collectible item - mine is in glass table
with early 1900s cracker jack prizes

 
Thanks for the additional information CASPER-2. Yours is indeed very similar to mine.
 
Last edited:
NICE FINDS THERE HULL . LIKE THE OLE JEWS HARP ....
 
One sweet Barber dime , and a two center along with a flying eagle penny would make ant detectorist jump for joy and then some.
 
Congrats on all those beautiful finds. I wouldn't sleep that night. If you don't get an answer on your buttons you might post them in, What is it?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom