A Banjo Frog

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
These are pretty common. Come out after rain. They make a "bonk" sound rather than a croak. Supposedly sounding like a banjo string being plucked.
IMG_20220716_200011_538~3.jpg

IMG_20220716_200001_788~2.jpg

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Chilli

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
Chilli.those frogs must be nice to hear and it looks like it has a good appetite
I think they are gluttons mate 😁
They are really great to hear in areas where there are lots. Obviously not every one of them does the Bonk in the same key. So its a chorus of different key "Bonks".
Its actually funny and nice to hear. At our place, as at others, they can live in the ground and come out when it rains. As they do where we are, no dams or waterways. But where there is lots of water where they live it sounds great to gear them 👍😀

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are really great to hear in areas where there are lots. Obviously not every one of them does the Bonk in the same key. So its a chorus of different key "Bonks".
Its actually funny and nice to hear. At our place, as at others, they can live in the ground and come out when it rains. As they do where we are, no dams or waterways. But where there is lots of water where they live it sounds great to gear them 👍😀
They are amazing that they live in ground mate..Are the holes in the ground wide and deep? Over here at lakes there’s bull frogs that get large also.
We have worms (night crawlers) live in the ground in lawns etc that come out at night especially after a rain.You can go out with a flashlight.They are a great fish bait also

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They are amazing that they live in ground mate..Are the holes in the ground wide and deep? Over here at lakes there’s bull frogs that get large also.
We have worms (night crawlers) live in the ground in lawns etc that come out at night especially after a rain.You can go out with a flashlight.They are a great fish bait also
Cool photo of the frog Chilli-I hear the big Bull Frogs crocking down at the waters edge.

Many toads will burrow underground, and have unearthed them while digging excavating a hole. (gravel)
Take a shovel full out look in the hole to get another, and there's a toad looking back at me. :laughing7:

OP
OP
Chilli

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
Cool photo of the frog Chilli-I hear the big Bull Frogs crocking down at the waters edge.

Many toads will burrow underground, and have unearthed them while digging excavating a hole. (gravel)
Take a shovel full out look in the hole to get another, and there's a toad looking back at me. :laughing7:
Yeah these are pretty good survivalists. They can live in the minimal wet dirt. Then when it rains come out and do the "Bonk" thing.
We have many creatures that do that. Even my favourite fish to catch the Yellowbelly. They as well as Murray Cod (i don't fish for them as the size limit is stupid, i fish for what I like to catch n eat)
Our native fish as I said are survivalists. In drought, often here, they lay doggo, shut down, and build up fat supplies. So say a yelllowbelly. You catch a 10lb fish. In the dry months, you get a fish with 50/50 flakes in the meat. 50% meat, 50% fat. Sounds odd right. Thats how they survive our climate. Wet times, floods, its around 80% meat, 20% fat sections. The best time is obviously wetter times, flood times. In dry times they wait, and are harder to get. In wet times they move and spawn and are easy to catch.
They wait till these times. They spawn on flood waters. So, the crazy catch times are at dam wall areas where they cant travel further upstream, even though they want to. Or, if they can in areas previously dry but covered in flood waters. They are a beautiful eating fish in that time. And fight like crazy. My best was a 12lb. But they get up to 20.
Best eating are around 4 to 8.
Bigger the fat sections out way the flesh.
Love fishing for them. A month or so they will hopefully be on the bite. But one doesn't know till they are really, an odd fish to target at times, time has to be right. But when on the bite are great. 👍👍👍👍👍

OP
OP
Chilli

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
Hey Blll. I breed Euro Night Crawler worms. I use them for Yellow belly.
The Yellas love them. I feed them on polenta and wholemeal flour put into a ninja food processor turned into powder. I sprinkle it on a bed of coconut fibre and spray it with ph neutral water. They grow as thick as say half your little finger. One worm fits a hook. I found that polenta, corn meal, they love.
I can't at times keep up with breeding them and have given hundreds upon hundreds away the way I was shown to raise them.
They absolutely love living in coconut fibre and being fed that way. But 1 thing I found was crucial. When you wet the dry fibre make sure 100% that the water is PH neutral, and when you wet the food powder its the same.
Otherwise they will exit stage right in the blink of an eye. Keep it all PH neutral and they love it.
I have, only by others teaching me, got a reputation here for having the best fishing worms in Central Vic but I only give them to friends.
Iv set up several mates here with colonies of them. 😁

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Blll. I breed Euro Night Crawler worms. I use them for Yellow belly.
The Yellas love them. I feed them on polenta and wholemeal flour put into a ninja food processor turned into powder. I sprinkle it on a bed of coconut fibre and spray it with ph neutral water. They grow as thick as say half your little finger. One worm fits a hook. I found that polenta, corn meal, they love.
I can't at times keep up with breeding them and have given hundreds upon hundreds away the way I was shown to raise them.
They absolutely love living in coconut fibre and being fed that way. But 1 thing I found was crucial. When you wet the dry fibre make sure 100% that the water is PH neutral, and when you wet the food powder its the same.
Otherwise they will exit stage right in the blink of an eye. Keep it all PH neutral and they love it.
I have, only by others teaching me, got a reputation here for having the best fishing worms in Central Vic but I only give them to friends.
Iv set up several mates here with colonies of them. 😁
Chilli that’s a beautiful arrangement that you have.I’m sure the fish want some now
When does Spring start in Central Vic

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brings this old commercial to mind

OP
OP
Chilli

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
Chilli that’s a beautiful arrangement that you have.I’m sure the fish want some now
When does Spring start in Central Vic
Technically by the actual here is when the wattle trees start to bloom.
Over the yrs they have done so around now. But, not a hint of it right now.
The so called seasons here in Central Vic, especially spring, regardless of what they say, start at the blooming of our Wattle trees and bushes.
Right now not there yet. When it happens I expect this year will be a good one. Especially the micro bush flowers. They are really small but amazing.
I love taking pictures of them and you guys can be sure you'll see them.
Tiny but amazing. I have pictures from last yr, but im banking on this being better. In a month or two. 👍
Something me and the misses very very look forward to. 👍

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We always look forward to seeing the days get longer..Your Spring season is just around the corner mate..

OP
OP
Chilli

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
We always look forward to seeing the days get longer..Your Spring season is just around the corner mate..
Hey mate.
Me and the misses went out today. Great place near us for fish. Redfin (English Perch) and Yellowbelly (native Aus)
Was an awesome day weather wise. But not temperature wise for them.
We still had a go!
Magic day though. Water like glass, bird life. Was great. But.....too cold....no fish. When we got there the actual temperature was 10 Celcius.
Not ideal for there. 15 to 25 is the go.
But we had an awesome time as we were there alone with nobody else.
Ummm.....🤔.....think we may have been the only silly people that bothered on second thought 😆
Loved it regardless.
IMG_20220719_134449_745.jpg

IMG_20220719_141108_740.jpg

My Euros...
IMG_20220719_153646_060~2.jpg

Fed before bedtime...😅
IMG_20220719_153417_129~2.jpg

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey mate.
Me and the misses went out today. Great place near us for fish. Redfin (English Perch) and Yellowbelly (native Aus)
Was an awesome day weather wise. But not temperature wise for them.
We still had a go!
Magic day though. Water like glass, bird life. Was great. But.....too cold....no fish. When we got there the actual temperature was 10 Celcius.
Not ideal for there. 15 to 25 is the go.
But we had an awesome time as we were there alone with nobody else.
Ummm.....🤔.....think we may have been the only silly people that bothered on second thought 😆
Loved it regardless.
View attachment 2037439
View attachment 2037440
My Euros...
View attachment 2037441
Fed before bedtime...😅
View attachment 2037442
That's a pretty cool way of raising worms Chilli.
Query: How long does it take to bring them up to size, and how many can raise at a time?

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool PHOTOS if they was bigger there legs might be tasty :)

OP
OP
Chilli

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
That's a pretty cool way of raising worms Chilli.
Query: How long does it take to bring them up to size, and how many can raise at a time?
Hi. They are a bit slower growing than others. When I first got them I purchased 50. I got a three tray worm farm and started with 1 tray. Id say it took 4 months to get to say 200. Id say from little hatchers to big full size, 2 to 3 months. After that they took off. When I got the first lot they kept trying to get out. To acclimatise them I put them under a small 5 watt led light. I did that for about a month or two. Now they dont ever try to leave. I leave them out in the dark backyard now and zero escapies. Nothing even in the bottom drip tray. There used to be a dozen there each week. Now none. They stay put now.
In summer, we get 30s to mid 40s Celcius temps, I put on the days from the mid to high 30s plus, two frozen plastic 2 litre drink bottles with water in the bottom drip tray and a towel draped over the top which I saturate with water. Summer varies so I only do that about 2 to 3 times a week.
Yeah I fuss over them a bit but its worth it. They can take hot weather and freezing cold. Winter like now I just put a tarp over it with a couple of bits of wood between the top and the tarp to act as a shield between the top. Tarp gets the frost, worm farm no frost. I got all this info from a US site, food and all when I got them. And it works. So its not my brains but some guy from your country, cant recall who but the info was golden info 👍

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread