A Big Pile Of Old Coins From A "Hunted Out Site"...

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found another old school site on a big piece of property that looked pretty good to be hiding some old coins. As I was tracking down the owner, I was told by different folks in the area, that it had been detected tons of times. I finally met up with the owner and got permission to hunt. He told me the same thing that he and many others had hunted it over the years, but I could hunt it anytime I wanted. I hear those words a lot about old sites and I take it as a challenge to find something. I fired up the Etrac and headed to a corner of the large property and my third signal I dug was a nice Merc. I thought this could be a good sign and ended up with 7 silver, 4 Buffalos and a handful of wheats after the first hunt. I went back twice this week and dug another 8 silver, a buffalo and my the oldest coin from this site, an 1888 V nickel. I was hoping to find a few keepers but I was not expecting it to produce like this. I will go back in the winter to hunt the wooded spots, might be a few more hiding in there. HH David

D6B5908C-1F2F-43A2-8879-5DE29943338A_zpsqn3gvszc.jpg
FFA3A383-68C7-40A9-846B-320EB52DD642_zpsf1rw4s9t.jpg

Upvote 56
Yup ...gotta hit those wooded areas - I hit an old school like that - place was peppered - and they weren't lying though
just got a few new drops
but I remember when I was a kid - we were told not to go into the wooded areas - and of course every chance we got
we did - so I ventured into the woods here and first target was a barber half - I got buffalos and all kinds of 30- 40s silver
I did pretty good in the wood - so betting you'll add to your haul when you get in yours too
View attachment 1232125

That sounds like it was a great spot. I love to hunt around old schools. Especially one that had an old store close to it.

Amazing hunt, hard to believe this site was hunted seriously, but rather cherry picked over the decades. You sure scored big time. That's about 2 months worth of silvers alone. It's going to be hard to beat that hunt.

I feel the same way on it being cherry picked for sure. Just about everything I found was easy targets and the place is not very trashy. I just think it didn't get hunted as hard as I was told. And I'm happy with that

Wow Soops! That's awesome! Love me some wooded areas

Yeah I like to get off the beaten path too and see what's been overlooked.

Any time I am told it's been hunted out, that's just a challenge! That is a great amount of nice keepers Dave. Good luck on your returns!:icon_thumright:

Yeah I'm the same way. I'm hoping to find anything that was left for seconds on a site like that. I am shocked that this place produced as much as it has. I think I dug over 70 coins and the majority are pre 65.

Wow awesome hunt Dave, like the V nickel dont see them in that good of shape all the time.....:icon_thumright:

Thanks park pirate. Yeah that V nickel came out with a green corroded scale on it. I had to scrub it up to get any detail to show through. I love digging old nickels, but our soil like most places eats them up.

A Big Pile Of Old Coins From A "Hunted Out Site"...

Very nice pile of silver Dave! Here's what I see though...a v-nick from 1888 pre-dating everything around it and what looks like an Indian right under it.... There's more older coins in there!!! That or lazy people just didn't dig the low sigs

Crank up that gain/sensitivity and go for it!

Great hunt again,,

Steve

Good Job Dave! Congratz!

Wow... That sure is a great site to have... Fantastic recoveries!! :thumbup:

I truly believe that NO place is ever hunted out~ It just hasn't been hunted well! 8-) Lots of folks give up after a few tries and there is no way every square inch has been hunted and the ground conditions are always changing to shift treasures closer to the surface for us hard core hunters to find later! Great finds and I'm glad you shared them with us! :thumbsup:

wow. that's just ridiculous. I'd so love a day of hunting with results like that

Very nice haul!!!:headbang:

I don't see where you or anyone else has mentioned it but did you check that 1937 Buffalo to see if it has a D mint mark and if so how many legs the buffalo has, if it's a D and has only 3 legs instead of 4 it worth a tidy sum!!!

Very nice haul!!!:headbang:

I don't see where you or anyone else has mentioned it but did you check that 1937 Buffalo to see if it has a D mint mark and if so how many legs the buffalo has, if it's a D and has only 3 legs instead of 4 it worth a tidy sum!!!

Thanks AU Seeker! I did't look that close to the 37 Buffalo to check that. I will go back and look. I find a lot of 35,36 & 37 nickels. I'm never lucky enough to find those rare key date coins tho. HH

There may well be a lot of people who don't really know how to properly operate a metal detector . It's hard for me to really
understand this - and I don't claim to be a hot shot with my MXT, but I certainly believe that any middle of the road or better
machine and a seasoned user (a few years under their belt ) could have found most of those nice coins . The other theory is
that you really were thinking outside the box - hitting the less obvious areas of the yard . The wooded area sounds promising .

Outstanding hunt.. sure your arms are sore from dirt fishing after that haul

There may well be a lot of people who don't really know how to properly operate a metal detector . It's hard for me to really
understand this - and I don't claim to be a hot shot with my MXT, but I certainly believe that any middle of the road or better
machine and a seasoned user (a few years under their belt ) could have found most of those nice coins . The other theory is
that you really were thinking outside the box - hitting the less obvious areas of the yard . The wooded area sounds promising .

I agree 100%. Just about every one of these coins could have been found with a decent machine and a little bit of time going over it. The thing that I think makes a difference is being diligent on sweep speed and overlapping the coil pattern. My style of hunting is to grid, I try to scrub every inch of the property with the coil. I think a lot of times it is easier to just randomly zig zag and jump around hoping to get over a signal, but you leave more up to chance. I have been fooled many times just by looking at a section of property and thinking it won't produce and it will be loaded. And also I find that the edges of properties tight up against fence rows etc.. produce often because it's easier to just hunt the middle open ground.

What a great haul of old coins, congrats!

Earlier this year I found an old school out in the countryside that looks like a prime spot for finds like yours. But it took some research to discover the owner, who lives in the city. I felt awkward about going to his house and telling him that I figured out he owns that school, then asking permission to detect around it. However, it sounds like your situation was similar- the owner did not live on the property?

unbelievable. Great day. YAAAAAAAAY

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back