What's new

A bit long in the tooth... need help with ID.

GibH

Silver Member
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
2,934
Reaction score
1,949
Golden Thread
0
Location
Florida
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone have any idea what this tooth belonged to? Bonus points for what ever the mollusk attached to it is as well :laughing7: Thanks!

fos3.webp fos4.webp
 
Ok, I guess the shell was a spiny oyster.
 
It's kind of neat looking, but why do you think it's a tooth? Doesn't look like one from here.
 
It's kind of neat looking, but why do you think it's a tooth? Doesn't look like one from here.

I guess it was just the general shape of it. After reading your reply, I looked at it again. You are correct, it isn't a tooth, it's some kind of shell. Thanks!
 
What could be attached to the shell is what is left over from a burrowing organisms hole. The hole fills with sediment that cements together. When surrounding mud that turns into rock erodes, it leaves behind the cemented burrow mold. I have collected these when hunting shark teeth in Bakersfield, California at Shark tooth Hill.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom