IMG_1179 (1).jpg
IMG_1180.jpg
IMG_1181 (1).jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
O
Sep 29, 2021
I am new to this site and trying figure it out. The blade was found on our farm in Phillips County Kansas when I was a kid. I have been told by loccals that is a knife, a hoe or a scraper. Can someone tell which it is, type and possible age?

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
..the site is in an upgrade now and I’m figuring out my self.
I would say your piece is a knife/quarry blank that would have been worked into whatever tool that would be need later.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there possibly a little notch near the middle? That and the thickness could mean a hoe but if not the closest named type that comes to mind is a north blade, but seems much longer than a north blade good to see some other Kansas stuff

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BAB05ADA-A474-479E-A555-23E07AEA20FB.jpeg

Was looking into how hoes were hafted to be sure how it was done and came across this… I’ll say I do take things like this with a grain of salt, I think a lot of times they just use the identification supplied when the item was donated, but they mention a high polish on parts of it, maybe see if yours has any polish, could indicate wether it was a preform or a hoe

Relicgrubber

Silver Member
Nov 3, 2018
Deep East Texas
Detector(s) used
O.G. XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
..the site is in an upgrade now and I’m figuring out my self.
I would say your piece is a knife/quarry blank that would have been worked into whatever tool that would be need later.
To refined to be a Quarry blank imo...

Up-North

Nov 13, 2020
s.e. Minnesota’s driftless area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
O
Sep 29, 2021
Thanks everybody, some very interesting possibilities. Heres more information. The blade was found about a 1/4 mile west of a known NA campsite(where we have found other atrifacts). There is an outcropping of Republican River Jasper about a 1/2 mile east of the campsite that could be where the stone could be easily quarried.
There is not any thinning in the middle of the bade and I have never believed it to be a hoe.
It is very refined, but may not be complete or it just needed to be reshapened.
It is 7 1/4 inches long and 3 inches wide. The thickest part is at the rounded end.
The site is 20 miles South of the Repubican River Valley and would be in an area hunters possibly from eastern Kansas could come to during summer buffalo hunts.
I believe there may be buffalo jump (steep cliff) near the campsite.
It does look very much like a Adena culture blade. But it would be pretty far west to be one.

Reactions: Fat

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
....I almost know where that is, I have hunted on either side of Alma and Nebraska’s Dead Sea, (Harlen)..
10 years ago caught nice crappie from Kerwin

Last edited:

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have my curiosity being a Kansas piece, overstreet didn’t have anything like that in their northern plains section, in north central there were some options but nothing that jumped out, interestingly there was a cobbs that was much more round than I ever thought a cobbs could be…. Having trouble with either the internet or new site to get a pic up, I’ll try later, Adena did look good but I agree it’s pretty far west, north blade and a Raimey knife were close but had obvious problems

Last edited:

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You have my curiosity being a Kansas piece, overstreet didn’t have anything like that in their northern plains section, in north central there were some options but nothing that jumped out, interestingly there was a cobbs that was much more round than I ever thought a cobbs could be…. Having trouble with either the internet or new site to get a pic up, I’ll try later, Adena did look good but I agree it’s pretty far west, north blade and a Raimey knife were close but had obvious problems
Check out Jeb Taylors artifacts from the high plains.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread