What's new

A "Blazer" of an ERIE Railroad Cuff Button

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2010
Messages
4,065
Reaction score
3,043
Golden Thread
1
Location
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This button which is circa 1890 - 1900 was the find of the evening. After a little aluminum jelly I was amazed at how much gilt remained on the front of this button. The Scovill back mark with the star at the bottom is different than the ones I found on-line. Another nice piece of local history.
 

Attachments

  • Erie Cuff Button (front).webp
    Erie Cuff Button (front).webp
    19.9 KB · Views: 129
  • Erie Cuff Button (back).webp
    Erie Cuff Button (back).webp
    57.7 KB · Views: 123
Upvote 22
WOW! Great shape!!!:icon_thumleft:
 
Congrats! Really nice find. Erie Railroad has a lot of history here in Nepa. My grandfather worked for Erie RR. :occasion14:
 
really nice RR button, cleaned up well!
 
Man, that is nice!
 
Damn nice condition, congrats brother....:occasion14:
 
HEY THERE ERIK THATS A NICE FIND, AN OLE ERIE RAILROAD BUTTON WITH NOW A PERFECT SHINE. PERFECT IS A UNDERSTATEMENT.
 
Very nice button
 
Very nice looking Railroad Button.
 
Wow, that is really nice. Congrats.
 
Sweet button! Would you be willing to share a photo of that on my "how to clean buttons" thread in the Cleaning and Preservation section? Well done, my friend!

-Buck
 
Thank you for all of the likes, kind words, and posts regarding this button. It definitely cleaned up better than expected.

Any of you button experts have a date based on the back mark "SCOVILL MF'G CO" with a star at the bottom. A little different than the ones I've seen on-line.
 
Buck,

Sure I'd be happy to share a pic in your "How To Clean Buttons" thread -- that's where I learned :thumbsup:. Unfortunately I didn't take any before pics as I didn't expect it to clean up so well. Do you want to post there or do you want me to do it?
 
That button certainly restored to almost pristine condition. pardon my ignorance,but where does one purchase aluminum jelly?Let me know the answer please.
 
Now this button came up great, very nice results.
 
Look's Great Man.
 
That button certainly restored to almost pristine condition. pardon my ignorance,but where does one purchase aluminum jelly?Let me know the answer please.

I think you can get it at Home depot , Ace or even a Grocery Store .
At the time I wanted some all I could get (at the place I was at) was Navel Jelly .
I think it's close but not the same thing.

When cleaning Guilt ed buttons , Go very Slow.
See I think it's BuckleBoys Cleaning post.

Sorry BB ,I see you already posted, should have read the whole thread before posting.:coffee2:
 
Last edited:
Thanks, it did come out better than expected. I don't think Home Depot sells it. They have Naval Jelly which is not the same thing. I bought mine on-line.

That button certainly restored to almost pristine condition. pardon my ignorance,but where does one purchase aluminum jelly?Let me know the answer please.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom