A brig lost on Cayos Arcas, Yucatan

Batavia

Jul 29, 2006
Paris/Jakarta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anybody interested in a salvage project off the coast of Yucatan...?

From the archives:
A brig X has been wrecked on the Cayos Arcas (Gulf of Mexico). She left Tampico and Carmen, where she completed her general cargo consisting of horns, yellow wood, sarsaparilla and other goods, as well as 1 ingot and 22 chunks of silver... Nothing was saved from the cargo.

Some wreckages were sold, but nothing was heard about the silver loaded on board, "official" or not...

For more stories, I invite you to check http://www.oceantreasures.org

piratediver

Jun 29, 2006
newport, Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Batavia: the problem is to get permission from the government, ain't going to happen. On the other hand, some friends of mine have located a decent wreck in Borneo, would you be interested in hearing about it?

Pirate diver

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
Don't be shy ! There are a lot of us that are also interested . The fun of this forum is that we mostly share what we know . Cornelius

OP
OP
Batavia

Batavia

Jul 29, 2006
Paris/Jakarta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right... Permit is the key word for doing a successful survey/salvage operation ! If the Mexicans don't allow to search for shipwreck and do salvage, than it's a pity, and we just have to forget about it.

Borneo ? Only Indonesia give access to "commercial" shipwreck salvage operations, depending on what period and what cargo you are expecting to find.

Let us know more about your story with your friend, if you wish...

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
Pirate diver . What's with your Borneo (Kalimantan ) wreck site ? Let us know whatever you have . Don't worry about permits , I have very strong contacts in Indonesia . Cornelius

piratediver

Jun 29, 2006
newport, Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wreck is off the northwest coast so it appears to be under Indonesian jurisdiction. Based on the artifacts I have seen it looks to be around 1840 and probably English. It will take more research to determine exactly what ship it is and whether or not it warrants spending a lot of money to excavate it.

Cornelius and Batavia, any suggestions would be appreciated as I have never worked in that part of the world.

Thanks,

Pirate diver

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The only salvage permit in Mexico that I'm aware of was granted to George Belcher in the mid '80s. With joint coop. with Mexico he set out to salvage the "Somers", the vessel in the "Billy Budd" story. However, unknown interlopers intervened, stealing artifacts including human remains, and the salvage ops may have been discontinued thereafter.
Don.....

OP
OP
Batavia

Batavia

Jul 29, 2006
Paris/Jakarta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
piratediver said:
The wreck is off the northwest coast so it appears to be under Indonesian jurisdiction. Based on the artifacts I have seen it looks to be around 1840 and probably English. It will take more research to determine exactly what ship it is and whether or not it warrants spending a lot of money to excavate it.

Cornelius and Batavia, any suggestions would be appreciated as I have never worked in that part of the world.

Thanks,

Pirate diver

It is already quite complicated and costly to start a project in Indonesia, so if you have a wreck, but don't know what is inside, I am not sure if it's worth it... You need a local company to work with you and get the permits on your behalf, etc...

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As to the Yucatan wreck.... 1 ingot and 22 chunks of silver? That wouldnt cover your fuel bill for the search and recovery.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread