🥇 BANNER A bucket list find, a surprise big silver.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATED PICS

I went to a place I call zip city. It's a modern park, never expect too much and usually that's
what I get. It's a place where one can expect clad and maybe hope for a bit of bling. The hits are just regular
enough to be able to stay interested but there's not much trash. So, it's usually a nice peaceful walk.

As you can see from the bulk of the finds:

2015 (309).jpg
2015 (310).jpg

( a "no value" token)

2015 (312).jpg

This is why I call the place "zip city" :) .

2015 (311).jpg

You KNOW what my title line might have been if this had
been the best find today. ;) LOL

BUT.....

The star of the day AND of my lifetime of hunting!

I'm walking along and I get one of "THOSE" hits. You know.
89-91 in ALL directions? Plain as day? Only a couple inches down?

Some do a victory dance when they happen upon a lifetime find but I tell
you I don't do that sort of stuff. BUT....in this case....I did do my personal
version of a victory dance. Me and my ATP go into this waltz like dance! I
spin it around the hole and just listen to that sweeeeet 89-91,over and over and over! LOL

Finally I get down to business and I gave the ATP a "dip" to beat all "dips" and then dug.

Here's what I saw:

2015 (315).jpg

2015 (316).jpg

2015 (317).jpg

2015 (318).jpg

2015 (319).jpg

I've always worked with a theory.
That every place was something else before it became what it is today.
This just continues to prove my theory.

My oldest silver ever!

2015 (313).jpg 2015 (314).jpg

Before anyone attempts to rain on my parade, I did some preliminary checking. The weight and size are correct. ;)
But, even if this would prove to be something other than I think it is, it still counts. After all it is my "book" after all. LOL

Thanks for taking the time to share in my happiness!

Last edited:
Upvote 104
OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Folks, all these responses really do touch home. I understand how this find might seem to lead to a misconception though. The find is absolutely stunning! Even by my own measurements. I really did nothing different than ANYone who has ever walked behind a detector has done. I walked over it and heard. The way I hunt, (the blind squirrel method), I really had very little to do with it at all. Also, since I just allow the Lord to take my feet wherever He sees fit for me to go, I didn't even pick my path. :)

As Jeff will tell you, I was pretty convinced that one needed a big enough cliche in order to reach the banner. I am sooooo glad to see that a find can, indeed, stand on it's own merit. All of you who voted for it have restored my faith in that aspect.

It is also heart warming to have such a large response. There's no way I can answer all the questions and still have time for the rest of my bucket list. I can try a few here as I do try to read every single one.

As to me being ANY different now, because of one coin or banner is only true in that something has happened. I'll still be trying to do what I've always done.

As far as what do I call the "zips" park now? Now, I call it zippity dodah park. ;)

As far as OD asking for my autograph? Naw, he has TWO Honorable Mentions and to me, that far out weighs any banner item.

As far as the "acceptance speech" ? This is it.

Except to say that you all have my greatest appreciation and I am humbled by the attention. But, as a wise man said, "Back to work!" Now, get out there!
But, don't frown on those same old places/parks/tot-lots/fields. ANY SINGLE ONE OF THEM may hold YOUR next bucket list item!

Thank you!

Last edited:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! What a great surprise that had to be! Just realized you had found a Draped Bust Half.
I was in a hurry and didn't scroll down far enough the first time I looked at your post ???

Congrats on the Banner!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh man, that is one sweet find. congrats!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the helpful information Frank. I have seen both the test and the pages and between my friend and I we've determined it to not be the mint error. No matter how much we wanted it to be. ;)

Besides, you have to understand me. This coin was worked hard for, nearly 40 years. It will not be for sale. If I'm wrong and it's worth a "mint", the one I pass it on to can play with that idea and more power to them.

For now, it's safely tucked away in a bank vault. :)

Thanks again!

I understand the reasoning behind why you will not sell the coin and why you will pass it down!

I am not saying that you and your friend or wrong or that I am correct but I think the coin deserves more scrutiny to determine where it is the rare 1812/1 "Large 8" Variety or not! Your' find (coin) was struck with an (LDS) Late Die Stage/State Obverse Die which is clearly evident in the smearing of the Star points facing the rim/denticles and also the almost wiped out denticles and both of which are due to Die Deterioration. The Reverse was also struck with a fairly Late Die Stage/State Reverse Die which is evident by the prominent Die Crack extending from between the berry and leaves of the Olive Branch to the "N" in "UNITED" but this is of no consequence unless this Reverse Die was only used in marriage with the Obverse Die containing the 1812/1 Overdate and "Large 8"! Since the Obverse Die used was a Late Die Stage/State Die, it is possible that the evidence of the "1" under the "2" of the Date was totally erased from the Die due to polishing and grinding of the Die or Die Deterioration or both. Hopefully that is not the case and if there is even the slightest evidence of the diagnostic which would appear as a very thin Die Crack, then you have a winner, well at least for the person that this coin will be passed down to. If you can take and upload a very good closeup of the "2" in the Date, then maybe we can determine if in fact your' found coin is the rare Variety but at the least, we can can determine for sure that it is not.

Take care and good luck on your future hunts!

Frank

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just saw it man, You def deserve banner on that one. Man that is one killer piece of silver! Congrats :notworthy:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope he isn't so upset with us for putting him up there that he stops talking to us now MBB:laughing7:. Let me be the first and say " Sorry Gary for putting you in the loathed limelight ".

At some point he will forgive us. How many showers does it take to get that lime light stuff off any how? :laughing7:

Eloquently stated Gary.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand the reasoning behind why you will not sell the coin and why you will pass it down!

I am not saying that you and your friend or wrong or that I am correct but I think the coin deserves more scrutiny to determine where it is the rare 1812/1 "Large 8" Variety or not! Your' find (coin) was struck with an (LDS) Late Die Stage/State Obverse Die which is clearly evident in the smearing of the Star points facing the rim/denticles and also the almost wiped out denticles and both of which are due to Die Deterioration. The Reverse was also struck with a fairly Late Die Stage/State Reverse Die which is evident by the prominent Die Crack extending from between the berry and leaves of the Olive Branch to the "N" in "UNITED" but this is of no consequence unless this Reverse Die was only used in marriage with the Obverse Die containing the 1812/1 Overdate and "Large 8"! Since the Obverse Die used was a Late Die Stage/State Die, it is possible that the evidence of the "1" under the "2" of the Date was totally erased from the Die due to polishing and grinding of the Die or Die Deterioration or both. Hopefully that is not the case and if there is even the slightest evidence of the diagnostic which would appear as a very thin Die Crack, then you have a winner, well at least for the person that this coin will be passed down to. If you can take and upload a very good closeup of the "2" in the Date, then maybe we can determine if in fact your' found coin is the rare Variety but at the least, we can can determine for sure that it is not.

Take care and good luck on your future hunts!

Frank

Again, thank you kindly for your concern and I understand your desire to have this unanswered question you have, solved.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Again, thank you kindly for your concern and I understand your desire to have this unanswered question you have, solved.

Well, if you are not interested in finding out for sure, that is your choice and I will not press the matter further! I am a Coin Searcher and Researcher at heart who searches for and researches Variety and Error Coins and in doing so I not only help others but help myself by learning more.

Frank

Last edited:

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can never look at a park the same way again:thumbsup: AWESOME silver:notworthy:

I have watched you hunt parks. I have watched you hunt "the mansion" I have seen your passion. I have seen your dedication. You sir, have put in the hours,dug the junk, shared the finds with blingy and all the rest of us on TN. If I had found this coin....I might be a very small bit happier than you finding it. As said by a former poster, No One....deserves it more than you.:hello2 I just can't say enough... God, continue to keep you and hold you, Brother Al

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have watched you hunt parks. I have watched you hunt "the mansion" I have seen your passion. I have seen your dedication. You sir, have put in the hours,dug the junk, shared the finds with blingy and all the rest of us on TN. If I had found this coin....I might be a very small bit happier than you finding it. As said by a former poster, No One....deserves it more than you.:hello2 I just can't say enough... God, continue to keep you and hold you, Brother Al

One more thing, stop looking at it and get some sleep!.....tomorrow is another day and Blingie has needs

dirtfishingirl

Greenie
Feb 22, 2014
Panhandle FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Find ! I think like u do. The place was something else long ago. Gives me hope one day I will find one.:icon_thumleft:

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fan-effin-tastic! Lately all my hits 91-92 in all directions turn out to be a nice symmetrical piece of aluminum. You give me hope, brother.

Jun 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Garrett A/T
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dad always says that about fishing.
:Bad days fishing is better than a good days work.

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Well I have not had a chance to be on much in awhile. Just got on to check out the post. I wanted to say welcome to the Capped Bust Half Dollar Club and Congrats on super looking half and making a well deserve Banner :thumbsup:

james hannah

Sep 8, 2013
You just never know , great find .....when you love what your doing its always fun but when you find something in what you love it's even better , fantastic ........I've been doing this for a good while , persistence pays off even if it's something that make you smile .
Where are you from , best wishes JIM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic! It's always great to find that surprise pc. in a familiar spot. That had to feel pretty sweet. WTG! Great find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread