A Casual Day Detecting in The Yard Yields Old Coin and Relics.

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had some time late this afternoon and decided to see what I could find in my yard. I have been detecting my yard for about two years so I wasn't really expecting to find anything very good at all. I started by detecting around a large lilac bush that I not detected around as much as the rest of my yard. I was going slow listening for any alright signals. Eventually, I got an okay signal, dug the plug, and was surprised to find a thimble in the bottom of the hole!

thimble.JPG
Here it is after some cleaning. I believe it to be aluminium.

I detected some more around the lilac bush and soon got a scratchy signal that bounced anywhere from 70-85. "This doesn't sound too bad" I thought to myself. I dug the signal and took a scoop of dirt out of the hole with my shovel. I used my pinpointer to locate the signal, soon found the target, and was happy to see that it was either a coin or a token. When I picked it up I thought it was an old arcade token because of it's size and weight, but realized I was wrong when I wiped the dirt away and saw the words "ONE CENT 1859." Once I saw the maple leaf wreath around the edge of the coin, I knew that it was a Canadian large cent.

1859largecentindirtfront.JPG 1859largecentindirtback.JPG
Here is the coin after a basic brush-off.

1859front.jpg 1859back.jpg
Cleaned...

I was thrilled to find this because it's in such great condition, and it's my oldest Canadian coin I have ever found!

After this I dug a mid tone that turned out to be one of those pesky mason jar lids.

brokenmasonjarlid.JPG

I moved along and soon found my coil over an alright penny signal. I dug and dug and soon pulled this really nice spoon out of the hole

spooninthedirt.JPG
Fresh from the dirt...

fancyspoon.JPG
Cleaned...

After finding the spoon, it was getting to be time for dinner, so my day was over.

Although these are common house site finds, I was thrilled to find them because of how much I have searched my yard.

Good luck and happy hunting,

VTColonialDigger

Last edited:
Upvote 22

cdickrun64

Nov 12, 2009
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
My eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing what can be found in our own yards, even after pounding them with 3 different machines... ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1528543087.154731.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1528543110.271541.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1528543205.383289.jpg

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds I like the penny. Nice detail. Congrats

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those Canadian large cents always seem to come out of the ground pristine.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been surprised myself, detecting my own yard...my house isn't very old but is on old farmland. Your spoon turned out very nice, almost nice enough to shovel some Froot Loops in the pie hole! Thx for sharing, Ddf.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the spoon might be silver check it for markings

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were several varieties of the 1859 Canadian cent. some worth a bit of money. After you clean some of the dirt off it, you might want to check real good.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice job on the home finds, bet there is more goodies to be found! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread