What's new

A cobble question

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2013
Messages
2,882
Reaction score
3,005
Golden Thread
0
Location
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok it's my turn to post a rock :tongue3: I know it's a cobble but if one of you were to find it, other than bringing it home because it's a nice rock, would you have any theories about it being used for something? Just wondering so please don't beat me up too much :dontknow: I do see the usual plant fossils which is cool in itself to me at least lol Thanks for looking and any thoughts are welcome as long as they're not mean.

WP_20150831_001.webpWP_20150831_002.webpWP_20150831_003.webpWP_20150831_004.webp
 
Upvote 0
for the most part it should look like this.....see how the river patina on mine is nice and smooth but the end is obviously pounded and used?
 

Attachments

  • DSC01623.webp
    DSC01623.webp
    18.4 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC01626.webp
    DSC01626.webp
    21.4 KB · Views: 119
for the most part it should look like this.....see how the river patina on mine is nice and smooth but the end is obviously pounded and used?

Okay! That's what I needed to know unclemac! Mine is not like that on the end, here it is looked dead on, just broken over time. Thanks lots!
WP_20150901_001.webp
 
keep looking, they are out there
 
That piece looks to me like it could have been used in camp life for something, not sure what it was. we find stones like that all the time and the camp is a sandy area without stones so any like that was brought there for a purpose. I bring them all home never know when you will discover what they were used for.
 
a lot of times the camp fire stones will hue a pinkish hue too and you can really see that they have been heated.
 
NC Peaches, I find a lot of this "water smoothed" river/creek cobble over all my surface hunt sites. They are "manuports", stone that has been carried to a place where it dosen't naturally occur...carried there by the hand of man and are now out of context. Most of what I find was never used in any obvious way. But some were as they are abraded/or purposely fractured in some way. I usually don't bring them home cause I would run out of room. There are so many wonderful NA mysteries that we can only conjecture about. Sure is fun to wonder about and try and figure out!
 
I bring the ones home that have a good feel in my hand
 
a lot of times the camp fire stones will hue a pinkish hue too and you can really see that they have been heated.

Here's an example of just that. Took it home years ago as an example of a hearth stone. Other times, such rocks will look as if they shattered in an explosion. I imagine that cracking could happen with the stones used in sweat lodges as well, when cold water was poured on them to create steam.
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    189.7 KB · Views: 90
That is a SE as well.
 
you see a what?
 
Bob this is North American Indian artifact forum not Jesuit forum.. Please refrain from posting posts about Jesuits..
 
HEY MOD.The op asked about a theory so I gave it to them. They are rocks remember. I'm not hijacking. You willing to take that challenge yet? I will be in Daytona next week.
 
HEY MOD.The op asked about a theory so I gave it to them. They are rocks remember. I'm not hijacking. You willing to take that challenge yet? I will be in Daytona next week.
Bob don't push your luck, it was the op who complained. I have no desire to look at a bunch of rocks....
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom