A cool tip for cleaning up a site!!!

john37115

Nov 8, 2007
Tennessee, USA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75, Nautilus dmc IIb, Custom Soveriegn, Pro XL, Classic IV, IDX, Compass Gold Scanner Pro
Has anyone ever used one of the little magnetic sweepers to clean up the loose ferrous debris from there sites before detecting. I am posting a link with a short video of how this thing works. I have used them to pick up roofing nails just never thought of it as an aid in metal detecting.

http://www.bluestreakequipment.com/site/video_galleries/scape/video_gallery_scape.htm

I was trying to explain something like this to another member not that long ago... instead, I showed them some of the magnets off of Harbor Freight and explained how it could help to remove some of the trash at the property they were planning to detect.
That looks like it would be alot easier to use, though I'm not sure how pricey it is.

Bran <><

That would be OK if the junk was on top of the ground. But if it is under the dirt I son't see how it is going to help you clean out the area. As you would still need to dig a lot of junk. I have been detecting a park close to me and I know it has been hunted for years. I started digging in all mode. I have dug up lots of junk. But I am also getting some coins and also a couple of rings. Both of the rings that I have dug has rung up as foil/ring around 18+ and 20+ on my detector. So dig junk to find the good stuff...Matt

I agree it is not going to be suitable for every situation but near me there are alot of old homesites that have fallen in with age or burned down and there is little metal scrap all over the top of the ground. I know this would definately make some of these old sites huntable. Now on these sites I dig every thing that is not a nail that includes large iron and I love the low foil type signals.

WHOA... yeah, I can rig my own using Neodymium (rare earth) magnets for so much cheaper than that.
No thank you!

Bran <><

jmann said:

Yes jmann it is much less expensive.

godisnum1 said:
WHOA... yeah, I can rig my own using Neodymium (rare earth) magnets for so much cheaper than that.
No thank you!

Bran <><
I would not pay $320 for one I was thinking about the $110.00 one. I checked into the rare earth magnets and to buy the magnets and wheels and aluminum and bend the frame I would have wound up with much more in my own than $110.00

Thank you John. I know several places with exposed nails covering long gone
homesites. Think I need one. One place that was occupied in the 30's and 40's
is on a hillside and those old nails are still on top of the ground and clustered in
the road tracks.

lastleg

To find cheap strong magnets, check out American Science and Surplus. They have a wacky catalogue and a really neat website.

one thing you can do if your hunting a homesite that is a field, you can take small areas like 10x10 and use a garden rake to loosen the dirt and turn it up a bit then run the magnet over it, you'd be surprised how much iron you pull out!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back