A couple of coins from today, one is a first for me.

Dr Plugs

May 30, 2023
Got out for a bit this morning, got very hot very quick, was able to get in a field ive been waiting for them to mow.

The grass had not been raked or baled yet so it was very tough to detect, probably only scratching the surface this time in.

Managed to find a large cent and a first for me, a 2 cent piece. When I swung over it the vdi showed brittish half penny numbers, and I had dug a kg2 in the field next to this one 2 weeks ago so I thought this mite be one. But when I popped it out I thought it was a nickel of some sort but the numbers were just too high for a nickel. Upon cleaning the 2 came out and we knew what it was, very cool!

1867 2 cent piece and a 1829 largie. My buddy dug a old pocket watch, a 1837 largie, and we each got a button or two. I'm planning on going back Tuesday morning with the hopes that they take the cut hay off and I can get the coil a little closer the ground.

Attachments

• 20240525_161510.jpg
    20240525_161510.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 67
  • 20240525_161524.jpg
    20240525_161524.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 48
Upvote 31
Got out for a bit this morning, got very hot very quick, was able to get in a field ive been waiting for them to mow.

The grass had not been raked or baled yet so it was very tough to detect, probably only scratching the surface this time in.

Managed to find a large cent and a first for me, a 2 cent piece. When I swung over it the vdi showed brittish half penny numbers, and I had dug a kg2 in the field next to this one 2 weeks ago so I thought this mite be one. But when I popped it out I thought it was a nickel of some sort but the numbers were just too high for a nickel. Upon cleaning the 2 came out and we knew what it was, very cool!

1867 2 cent piece and a 1829 largie. My buddy dug a old pocket watch, a 1837 largie, and we each got a button or two. I'm planning on going back Tuesday morning with the hopes that they take the cut hay off and I can get the coil a little closer the ground.
Those are great finds and I'm sure more are on the way!

great saves and thanks for posting

Can you post clearer photo of the 2 center back/obverse?
It's hard to tell because when I enlarge the photo the 2 center gets blurry.....but I think you have a rare coin there...a double die obverse....if so it's worth minimum about 6 X of what a regular 1867 2 center is worth.

3594_37656528_2200.jpg

Can you post clearer photo of the 2 center back/obverse?
It's hard to tell because when I enlarge the photo the 2 center gets blurry.....but I think you have a rare coin there...a double die obverse....if so it's worth minimum about 6 X of what a regular 1867 2 center is worth.

3594_37656528_2200.jpg
My eyesite ain't the best anymore, I have a hard time seeing the details, maybe this will help you. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20240526_132750.jpg
    20240526_132750.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
My eyesite ain't the best anymore, I have a hard time seeing the details, maybe this will help you. Thank you.
Looking closer, I do believe I can see something extra on the lower tail of the S in the word trust, but like I said eyesore ain't what it used to be and ther is crust left on the coin. Thank you again.

Nice couple of coppers, congrats

Looking closer, I do believe I can see something extra on the lower tail of the S in the word trust, but like I said eyesore ain't what it used to be and ther is crust left on the coin. Thank you again.
The new photo is still not clear enough for me to tell for sure....BUT that S and also the left side of the U and R was what I was seeing in your first photo.

It would have to be cleaned up very carefully to be able to sell it for the best price, if it is a Double Die Obverse and had never been exposed to being buried it would be worth over $300, but with environmental damage from being buried it most likely be worth $75 to $100, if it's a regular 1867 it would only be worth a few dollars.

The new photo is still not clear enough for me to tell for sure....BUT that S and also the left side of the U and R was what I was seeing in your first photo.

It would have to be cleaned up very carefully to be able to sell it for the best price, if it is a Double Die Obverse and had never been exposed to being buried it would be worth over $300, but with environmental damage from being buried it most likely be worth $75 to $100, if it's a regular 1867 it would only be worth a few dollars.

Thank you very much for looking at the coin, it may be a error, or maybe not. I never sell anything anyways. I will just enjoy the coin as is. It will display nicely either way.
Thanks again.

That place has the potential to be Epic, based on that start and all the hay you had to swing over! Congrats for knocking one off the bucket list and GL going forward!

I would be very happy to have either of those coins. I’ve only dug one 2-cent in about 17 years. 😭 Great looking design.
MM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back