Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both were in collections where they actually fit in, and the gold I figured out right away, but I got phone call right after seeing the sixpence so it was 20 minutes of talking, and then 10 minutes on the net to realize the bad news. All I could think is please coin God just let this be the one time it's ain't a fake! :)

242h7qc.jpg

534dht.jpg

Stack's Bowers Galleries - Lot #6001 - Undated (1616) Sommer Islands Sixpence. BAM Type I, W-11445. Large Portholes. VF-20 (PCGS).

6prihf.jpg

25s6iyh.jpg

But it wasn't all bad because I made about a $1,000 off the group that had the fake gold. But that's the very reason I felt it had a chance, because there was good stuff. The Sommer Islands coin had me going too because it was with a bunch of other coins, every single one dating around the same period. I save them because they make me laugh, sort of like the detecting finds where you think you hit something great but doesn't turn out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where does one purchase a collection that would have stuff like this in it?

The answer is ebay and anywhere I can find it. The "gold coin" was actually mixed in a token collection which also had coins and it seemed obvious to me fairly soon after starting to sort this person didn't know how much more they could have made.... which sort of planted a seed in my mind before seeing the 8 Escudo fake.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't get your link to work. Did you spy these on an ebay lot?

Must be down temporarily. It's an $86,000 sale for a Summer Islands Sixpence at the Baltimore coin sale that happened fairly recently. It was the first thing I found when I started the hunt to ID the coin, or confirm it was fake I should say.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
The answer is ebay and anywhere I can find it. The "gold coin" was actually mixed in a token collection which also had coins and it seemed obvious to me fairly soon after starting to sort this person didn't know how much more they could have made.... which sort of planted a seed in my mind before seeing the 8 Escudo fake.

Is it real gold? A plated copy?

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it real gold? A plated copy?

It's plated white metal, but looks way better than the cheap souvenirs we see posted all the time... which was another reason my heart skipped a beat.

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White Eagle II, Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't want to seem crude, but is this what is actually on that coin?

6prihf.gif

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread