A couple of old Dovetails

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Here are some old dovetails from Whitley County Indiana, a mix of personal finds and old collector purchases.

Dovetails.JPG

The one that is sideways is from the Addis collection, and later in the Earl Townsend collection. It was found "East of Wilson Lake", which is pretty close to land my 4th great grand father settled back in the 1840's. The largest one is a picture of a personal find on a farm next to my family's original homestead, the other ones were found at an archaic site nearby that is partially on land my family settled.

The second picture is the land grand from Martin Van Buren (he didn't actually sign these, but they were issued under his authority) for the land.

Ream.jpg

The third picture is how the farm evolved by the 1880's two his grand children, the last names have changed, and some new neighborhoods/subdivisions have popped up, but many of the farms are basically the same.

Ream1.jpg

Joshua

Upvote 0

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice little flock of doves, the biggest one is a "beauty", bet you remember that day well. How long is it (I'm guessing 4 1/2 or 5 1/2+), finding one that size whole is always a memorable occasion. Whether found yesterday or 50 years ago that's a real sweet find!

OP
OP
joshuaream

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Good Stuff!!

Is any of the property still in the family?

Yes, but they are pretty distant cousins with a different last name, but one of the farmers was buddies with my father in high school and has always been great about letting me hunt when I'm home.

OP
OP
joshuaream

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Nice little flock of doves, the biggest one is a "beauty", bet you remember that day well. How long is it (I'm guessing 4 1/2 or 5 1/2+), finding one that size whole is always a memorable occasion. Whether found yesterday or 50 years ago that's a real sweet find!

Just a hair under 5 3/4", I sold it when I was in highschool. I was able to keep track of it when I was younger, but now that I have the money to buy it back it has moved collections a couple of times, and I can't figure out who owns it... I'm still confident that I'll eventually get it back.

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a hair under 5 3/4", I sold it when I was in highschool. I was able to keep track of it when I was younger, but now that I have the money to buy it back it has moved collections a couple of times, and I can't figure out who owns it... I'm still confident that I'll eventually get it back.

Sounds familiar, I was just a few years out of high school (21 years old I think) when I sold my first relic, and sold three others over the next four years. I've located two of them, unfortunately they're not for sale and even if they were they're way out of my price range. Unfortunately the two I could afford to buy back have remained elusive to date.
I wish you luck locating yours. Unfortunately nice pieces can move all over the states in the span of a few decades and some collectors don't present their stuff at shows regularly and some who once did may no longer do so.
I snapped a closeup picture on my phone and will keep an eye out for your piece. I usually hit a half dozen shows a year here in Illinois and Eastern Iowa, who knows, I might see it somewhere. One thing is helpful, the egg white inclusion on the edge of one blade.
Again good luck with your quest!

OP
OP
joshuaream

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Mark,

I truly appreciate the effort! That picture is probably the B side, here's the other side. The picture is a bit washed out, the inclusion is visible on both sides and a blueish green lighting bolt/seem on the A side.

I sold it to a collector who lived in the Chicago area (Mike Dominy), who I understand sold it several years later. It very well might show up at an Illinois show in a frame. I don't have a picture, but it was found a couple of feet from half of similar size dove made from similar flint ridge.)

Joshua

Dovetail.JPG

Sounds familiar, I was just a few years out of high school (21 years old I think) when I sold my first relic, and sold three others over the next four years. I've located two of them, unfortunately they're not for sale and even if they were they're way out of my price range. Unfortunately the two I could afford to buy back have remained elusive to date.
I wish you luck locating yours. Unfortunately nice pieces can move all over the states in the span of a few decades and some collectors don't present their stuff at shows regularly and some who once did may no longer do so.
I snapped a closeup picture on my phone and will keep an eye out for your piece. I usually hit a half dozen shows a year here in Illinois and Eastern Iowa, who knows, I might see it somewhere. One thing is helpful, the egg white inclusion on the edge of one blade.
Again good luck with your quest!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful and fragile. Miracle they survived. Thank you for sharing these.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions