What's new

My Family of Blacksmiths...

sibbley

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2023
Messages
1,515
Reaction score
5,136
Golden Thread
0
Location
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master, XP Deus 2, Deeptech Vista X, Nokta Makro Invenio Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most of my life I had not really known much about my family and "where I came from". My dad and his siblings weren't really interested in their family farther back than their father and grandfather. I was always left wondering. I had known where our family lived for many years in Berks County Pennsylvania, as the farm was pointed out to me every time we passed it traveling from one town to another.

When I was in my 20's, I had discovered that my family had come to the colonies in 1733, after leaving the old country. Over the years I learned they came over on the ship Richard and Elizabeth, settled in Skippack Township, Philadelphia County at the time, and moved north in the 1740's into Berks County. From there, my grandfather 9 generations back moved into what is now Schuylkill County, built a home for his family and began to build a life there. In 1756, Indians moved through the area chasing settlers out and taking land. My grandfather Johann Marx raised a company of volunteers in Albany, then Berks County, and marched off to take back their homes. Just as the men reached their destination, Indians ambushed the men killing Johann and another man. The rest of the soldiers took refuge inside Johann's home and fought till the Indians retreated.

When Johann's son Valentine started his own family, they moved back to Berks County where he worked as a lock smith. I have actually found records and receipts detailing Valentine selling locks and repairing locks for the church at Grimmsville, Berks County. He is also buried there along with his wife. This is as far as I have been able to find what my family did to make a living till the 1860's when my grandfather Jacob 5 generations back built a farm and raised Rye.

Recently, I have learned that my family were blacksmiths from Valentine's sons to Jacob. They specialized in forging Sickles and were apparently very good at making them. My wife was able to acquire one of these sickles made by Jacob's brother Isaac.

The item description:

" Wonderful quite old sickle or scythe or reaper, hand made, and hand forged and marked. Tools like this were used as part of the harvest, and were indispensable on farms in medieval and even early industrial agricultural operations. Marked and stamped on the blade. I met the curator of the Antique American Carpenter's and Machinist Machinery & Tool Museum, and he told me that this style of reaper was typical of Pennsylvania and eastern Ohio blacksmiths. This is probably from the early 1800s, but it could be from the very late 1700s. Marked and stamped with a partly eroded mark that I think should be "I CHRIST" on the blade, as I had two others marked similarly. This superb example is 23 1/16" long measured from the bottom of the handle to the tip of the blade. The hand shaped wood handle is about 5" long and shows some minor cracks due to age and dryness. The entire tool is in good condition, and the forged steel blade has been hand hammered and the blade has virtually no sharpness to the edge."

The dates given in the description are incorrect. Isaac was born in 1840, so the sickle was most likely Late 1850's on. Still, a wonderful piece to have, hand forged by a member of my family.

Pics:

1.webp
2.webp
3.webp
4.webp
5.webp
6.webp
7.webp


My wife and I have been detecting the family farm. The black smith's shop is still there with a dirt floor and tons of signals. Maybe we will find one of these buried!
 
That is a terrific family history. My 4th great grandfather, Michael "Big Mike" Clore, was a blacksmith also, and gunsmith to Gen Washington. I have never been able to track down a single rifle or implement attributed to him. You are very fortunate to have those family heirlooms. A real treasure.

20230610_111234 - Copy.webp
https://www.geni.com/people/Michael-Big-Mike-Clore/6000000003221706499
 
Wow Sibbley that is quite a report. I have traced mine back maybe 3 or 4 generation and have not had much luck any farther. Thank you8 for sharing
 
SUPER FAMILY HISTORY STORY ! I've got a lot of my Grandfather's tools but I don't know how to upload it from my phone to the net ! New fangled contraption's ! the tool in question is a old hammer . it has a square head and the "claw" side of the hammer has a curved flat backside of it where the "claw" would be to pull nails out and the wood handle has a threaded rod going from the head to the end of the wood handle ! No idea on what type of hammer it is or the name for it !
 
SUPER FAMILY HISTORY STORY ! I've got a lot of my Grandfather's tools but I don't know how to upload it from my phone to the net ! New fangled contraption's ! the tool in question is a old hammer . it has a square head and the "claw" side of the hammer has a curved flat backside of it where the "claw" would be to pull nails out and the wood handle has a threaded rod going from the head to the end of the wood handle ! No idea on what type of hammer it is or the name for it !
From my phone. I use gmail to mail the pictures to my standard email
 
My wife is totally AWESOME! Last Saturday she was looking for more items made by my ancestors and found two more sickles. These were made by D. CHRIST. Information provided by a collector on Facebook tells me that this was the brother of my Great Grandfather 7 generations back, Daniel. These bad boys are more than 200 years old, and one is still sharp! In the original post, I stated the sickle was made by Isacc Christ. This is apparently incorrect. According to the collector, "I" was used in place of "J" by many Pennsylvania Germans. Therefore, the sickle in the original post was made by my Great Grandfather 7 generations back, Johann Jocob Christ. Another confirmed 200+ year old sickle.

There was a third sickle in the auction made by I. SNEIDR. Haven't found any info on this gentleman yet.

s-l1600 (9).webp
s-l1600 (8).webp
s-l1600 (7).webp
s-l1600 (6).webp
s-l1600 (5).webp
s-l1600 (4).webp
s-l1600 (2).webp
s-l1600 (1).webp
s-l1600.webp
s-l1600 (3).webp
 
My wife is totally AWESOME! Last Saturday she was looking for more items made by my ancestors and found two more sickles. These were made by D. CHRIST. Information provided by a collector on Facebook tells me that this was the brother of my Great Grandfather 7 generations back, Daniel. These bad boys are more than 200 years old, and one is still sharp! In the original post, I stated the sickle was made by Isacc Christ. This is apparently incorrect. According to the collector, "I" was used in place of "J" by many Pennsylvania Germans. Therefore, the sickle in the original post was made by my Great Grandfather 7 generations back, Johann Jocob Christ. Another confirmed 200+ year old sickle.

There was a third sickle in the auction made by I. SNEIDR. Haven't found any info on this gentleman yet.

View attachment 2253453View attachment 2253454View attachment 2253455View attachment 2253456View attachment 2253457View attachment 2253458View attachment 2253459View attachment 2253460View attachment 2253461View attachment 2253462
I think your onto something there. Your walls will be covered and soon you will be gifting sickles to family members.
 
What a family treasure you have there ! I have a old sickle out in my work shop that's been stuck in a beam for years ! I want to go out and put a eyeball on it to see what's on it "if" anything ! We have one side of our familys birth / death dates going back to the Civil War ! Like I said, WHAT A FAMILY TREASURE !
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom