A couple of questions.

sparkydog

Sep 28, 2008
Boulder Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites: Surf, Eagle II SL, GMT.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I dowse with some success and have come up with a couple questions I don't understand.
I often just walk with my rods and don't really consciously "tell them" what I'm looking for. I guess the assumption is that I want to find metallic objects and I usually do. I seem particularly sensitive to lead and have found lead bullets often and sometimes from what I consider a great distance. Once while following a "line" to a target I was lead straight to my car and beyond it...the line passed thru it and continued beyond it another 30 or 40 feet where the rods "Xed" a target which was a .38 caliber lead slug 6" down under pine needles beneath a tree. I wasn't surprised that my rods found the slug as I'm used to that but I am still curious about the rods ignoring the car with all the lead in the battery and all the other metals present in it. Any thoughts?

My second question may be related...when I find coins I put them in my pocket and continue to hunt...how do my rods ignore them in my pocket after reacting strongly to them when they were buried?

I'm not losing sleep over either question and my best guess is that even though I don't vocalize my desired target in my mind as some insist I must do, I think I subconsciously hold a thought about what I desire and the metal of my car or targets I have found previously are ignored.

How about it guys, am I on the right track?

OP
OP
sparkydog

sparkydog

Sep 28, 2008
Boulder Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I followed my target line right to the car and then assumed that is where it was leading me. I walked around the car and the line just went thru the car and continued behind it. When I cross a target line my sticks open and align along it so long as I haven't reached the target yet. If I cross the line beyond the target my sticks cross. At that point, I step onto the line and walk back along the line till my sticks cross and indicate the target. I have yet to experiment much with the multiple lines along the compass points.
I have to mention here that I use a tool which I don't think I'm allowed to discuss here because it uses a battery. (At the risk of getting in trouble, let me just say that I develop a single line to my targets using a cheap simple buzzer box which I make myself for under fifteen bucks.) I love this site and don't want to get in trouble here so if there is a place on the site to discuss this I'll tell you about it...otherwise, suffice it to say I get a target line from box to target which I suppose works just like the lines along the compass points everyone talks about. I've never tried a "witness chamber" type of rod or any other method of introducing a target material to my rods. (My rods are gas welding rods which are some kind of steel alloy with a copper coating). They're old and the coating is wearing off leading to a little rusting so I may replace them one day. I've looked into brass (too expensive) and copper (too soft and easily bent) so I will probably stay with the welding rods at $1 apiece in 36" length at the local hardware. I've used coathangers and other types of welding and brazing rods with equal success so I'm not too particular about what I use. I get a kick out of a friend who buys exotic hardwood handled, precision bearing, counter balanced, overpriced rods and then fails to practice and apply himself. I may make a new set like my current ones and a heavier set for those gusty, windy days when the rods are getting blown around.
Thanks for responding as I appreciate any and all input . Now that I'm retired I have more time for my dowsing and metal detecting and I'm really stoked to learn all I can.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Hey sparkeydog...You have the right ideas...Practice is your friend...I have had trouble with cars until I learned that those airbags contain a lot of gold and silver...You will find that the signal lines will go through most things..Large Boulders, houses....Enjoy your retirement.....Art

OP
OP
sparkydog

sparkydog

Sep 28, 2008
Boulder Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the reply Art and especially, thanks for all the informative posts you have contributed over the years! Its great that many have been collected in what amounts to a seven page tutorial at the top of the dowsing page. Write a book and Ill be in line for a first edition. (Or have you written one already that I'm not aware of)?

Speaking of books, I sat thru a solid eight hours of a book auction here in Kutztown yesterday and bought the absolute final book (lot 609). It is a 1968 printing of THE DIVINING ROD, An Experimental and Psychological Investigation by Sir William Barrett and Theodore Besterman. I'm anxious to dig into it but I'll be pushing a lawnmower and trimming bushes this weekend. Ahh Nature!
There seems to be more info than I need to know about finding water but there is also plenty of general information about history and dowsing in general. Of particular interest were a bunch of newspaper clippings which were inside the dust jacket. They were all about various local water dowsers and dated back as far as 1954 indicating that the previous owner had an interest long before buying this book. A small, rebound edition of SECRETS OF ANCIENT EGYPTIANS Both Black and White Arts was there but sold for way more than my budget. I only mention this because as I picked it up and opened it to investigate it, I opened it to a page in the middle with a half page paragraph about "energizing your divining instrument". Blew me away, maybe I should have found room in the budget after all. It gave a short prayer to God to endow the instrument with "the power that was always there". My new book makes mention of a very similar prayer so I guess I have it covered after all. ;)

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
I think it is important that your mind be programmed to be successful while Dowsing..This is how I have programmed my mind to map dowse..
May I, can I, should I, ESTABLISH, CHANGE OR ADD Dowsing Conditions and Agreements or Programs which will be continually in effect until changed by me. Thank You for allowing me to Dowse this map.
"Primary Program is to be continually in effect until I choose to make changes.
Covering the overall primary controls, limits, agreements and dowsing responses.
The Purpose is to determine amounts, effects, conditions, circumstances, influences, times, measurements, distances, numbers, percentages and other requested areas.
Dowsing Communications to be inter- cooperative and restricted to: the Overall Universal Superconscious, my Superconscious, my Higher Self and their approved Spirit Guides/Guardian Angels, and others of their choice, my Mind Systems, my Subconscious and its related systems. This is to cause me no harm, discomfort or loss of energy, either physically or spirituality.
Influences such as misleading thoughts, imaging, wishes, or any other conditions from any source, physical or non- physical, including my own or other persons, entities or mind systems of any kind, are not to affect me adversely or cause incorrect dowsing answers.
Time as related to dowsing is to be in my time unless other wise requested.
Answers are to be selected from all available knowledge and information sources.
The Method of Answering by the pendulum or any dowsing systems is to be: General, swinging or moving to "yes", "no" or other information, indicating the most appropriate answer for the question asked. Clockwise spin is for searching or other agreed-on systems.
Temporary Changes may be made by me while dowsing, reverting back after use.
Program Changes like adding, deleting or changing may be made by me, but only by using a four step system of my choice. End of program."
"May 1 Dowse on the computer screen. Can 1 dowse on the computer screen , Should I dowse on the computer screen and thank you for allowing me to dowse this map or photo on the computer screen is to become a working part of all my Dowsing Programs, and be continually in effect until I choose to make changes. When used in reference to dowsing questions, the May 1, Can 1, Should 1, is to have the following meaning:
May I is to mean: Do I have appropriate permission?
Can I means: Do I have the ability to successfully dowse in this area and am I ready?
Should I means: Considering all aspects related to this situation would it be appropriate, proper and suitable to dowse in this area?
"Map Dowsing Program is to become part of and work with all my programs or agreements, and to be in effect until I choose to make changes. When using a map or drawing, some type of dowsing device, and with or without

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lead (and most metals) corrodes in the ground and creates a halo. This is a much bigger target.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'morning my friends: Dowsing certainly exists, as I proved to my self in my infamous wedding ring experiment. Unfortunately it is riddled with shibboleths. such as you must hop on one foot while mentally reciting this or that, where in fact it is extremely simple, as far as you personally are concerned.

You must eventually assume that it is simply a natural selection by some part of your brain involving frequencies.

Remember you are nothing but a mass of interwoven electrical frequencies, from light, heat, on.

You can gaze into a show case of gold objects for example, all carrying the same basic frequencies, yet have no problem what so ever in selecting just what you want, it is just that simple. This is an example of visual selection.

In dowsing you utilize another form of frequency and strength selection, which is just as valid , and just as simple..

If you can visualize what you are looking for, your brain can do the rest.

Being human, we tend to over complicate things

Relax, if it works for you use it, there is no way in our present understanding of how the brain works, beyond the obvious physical factors, to actually, clearly explain it, so don't lose any sleep over it, just go use it..

Don Jose de La Mancha

OP
OP
sparkydog

sparkydog

Sep 28, 2008
Boulder Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow Art, that reads like a very specific and complete contract/program. Did you draft it personally? Has it evolved thru necessity? Once set to mind, do you read or repeat it on each dowsing occasion or only address it for the specified temporary alterations? I know I am not nearly regimented enough to read or repeat something like that often but I do see the value of each detail you have included. Do you think just having read it and agreeing with it is sufficient for me to follow those parameters or do you think we all should adopt a similar program? A lot of questions to be sure but I only ask because I am interested and anxious to learn.

Last edited:

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Hey Sparkydog...I had been map dowsing for a few years with just ok results..I found these lessons one day... Map dowsing.
I learned a lot about myself and made some adjustments..No it is not perfect but what the heck is...I read the oath from time to time just to keep it fresh in my mind...Yes...some times I have to make some adjustments..Art

OP
OP
sparkydog

sparkydog

Sep 28, 2008
Boulder Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Art. I'll print it out for future review. For now I'll just focus on learning more about dowsing with my rods. I have a great silver dowsing pendant from the early 1900's and as time permits, I'll give pendulum dowsing a try. I thought in retirement I'd have lots of free time but now I honestly can't imagine how I found time to work! hehehe

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
~Sparkeydog~
. I thought in retirement I'd have lots of free time but now I honestly can't imagine how I found time to work! Hehehe
You will learn to manage you time but the main thing is to learn how to say no to those that think you have nothing else to do...Art

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread