A cruel, cruel joke :-)

diamondjim

Mar 10, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(on me)

Out putzing around in the park this morning, having a quite nice day, a titanium wedding band, gold plate ear ring and then I popped this out of the hole.

1903-S Barber.

Just makes you want to cry...check out the book prices on it, you'll see what I mean...

Found a few other oldies too, old jeff's, including a '43 silver war nickel and 5 wheats. Wonder what other treasures are hiding in my little park?

Attachments

• ouch1.jpg
    ouch1.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 1,301
  • ouch2.jpg
    ouch2.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 1,315
Upvote 0
CONGRATS. I WOULD LIKE TO FIND A DIME LIKE THAT. :thumbsup:

DP BOB said:
Still a great find....

On a brighter side ;D ;D ;D good thing it wasn't a 1895O dime.... ;D ;D ;D

SURE, give me nightmares now why don't ya? ;D ;D ;D ;D

This site is just that cursed...

I went back to work over area with a smaller coil, only some old jeffs and wheaties and then the tector broke!

Just the arm rest (again), but I don't have replacement right now.

Anybody got a spare for IDX? (Any older white's in general will work just fine, even xlt parts fit.)

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but when I saw this, I had to post my 1903-S dime that I dug up in Ithaca, NY in 1999. This was and still remains my best detecting find ever. The front of the coin was encrusted with white, hard clay when I dug it, but I spent quite some time- like an hour or two- cleaning it off as carefully as possible. I was pleased with the result, because you can barely tell that it was ever in the ground (maybe there is a little dirt left under the date). The back of the coin was face-down on top of an Indian cent, and it was protected from the soil.

Sorry yours was so banged up, but a beat up key-date Barber is better than no Barbers! I'm sure you will get another key date at some point in the future, and maybe it will be a high grade coin next time. At least you are looking in the right places to find this kind of material. Some people don't even have access to a spot that could produce a key date Barber coin.

1903sdime.jpg

Still a nice find. I don't think it was a lawnmower, more than likely someone started to make a coin ring
with it or something like that. The damage looks like it was done on purpose. I think a silversmith in
training or someone like that could repair it pretty good though...

Yet it should inspire you on..., still a great find. Plus, you weren't the one that crippled it.

It's still a Barber dime, and a unique one at that! Be happy!! :icon_sunny:

Ray

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back