A customers 1897 house + 1/2 hour hunt= three neat finds!

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A customer's 1897 house + 1/2 hour hunt= three neat finds!

Hello again everyone,

Well, I finished an interior plaster patch on an 1897 house today. As I was talking with the owner in the driveway, I told him that I had my detector with me in the back seat of my truck (It had been in there since my hunt with TC on Sunday).

I had mentioned earlier in our conversation that I metal detect as a hobby, in which he was very fascinated, asking lots of questions. Anyway, when I told him I had my detector with me, he immediately said, "Well get it out! Let's see if you can find anything." "I thought you would never ask", I said with a smile.

As I pulled the detector out of the back seat and turned it on, I realized that this guy was right next to me watching my every move. "I never seen one of those things up close" he said.

On my very first swing near the driveway I got a solid hit. I cut a plug and out came an 1847 Rogers Bros. triple silver spoon. I quickly gave it to him to examine while I continued down the driveway....after a couple memorial pennies, which I quickly gave to him to examine ;D I continued swinging down the edge of the driveway.

The very next good signal was a little 2" square rusty piece of metal. Again I gave it to him.
As I got down to the end of the driveway near the street I got the half-a-toy-gun, and I was having as much fun as the owner was! :laughing9:

It was time for me to leave, so we perused "our" finds together and he told me he would like for me to come back so he could watch me metal detect some. I told him I would call him, real soon!

Oh, by the way, I just cleaned up the little square piece of rusted metal......It says H A 8849 TEX 04
I believe it is a 1904 Texas license plate of some sort!!! Check it out.

Attachments

• 100_3990.JPG
    100_3990.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 619
  • 100_3991.JPG
    100_3991.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 618
Upvote 0
Re: A customer's 1897 house + 1/2 hour hunt= three neat finds!

I'm thinking Texas Health Authority. Perhaps a dog tag to indicate rabies vaccination. But I don't know when they started vaccinating for that. Or some kind of quarantine tag. Interesting stuff.

Give the guy your detector next trip, minus head phones and explain what you are hearing and what it means. Sounds like you might have a convert.

George, That seems like a logical conclusion. I have not had time to do any reaserch on it yet.

neat stuff :icon_thumleft:... i would be raring to get back there real fast if i was u ;D MR TUFF

Good job Rick. You made some nice finds. Boy I've been turned down so much here lately, I'm beginning to believe that's the was its suppose to be. Still working on a couple of sites though. Got on one of them yesterday. Will be going back tomorrow. Good luck, and Happy Hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back