A Fairy gave me a haircut on the way to the Opal mine!

waterfalljay

Jul 23, 2006
Western NC Mtns
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Minelab Safari, Explorer SE Pro, & Excallibur II
I've been hitting a local park that's a convenient 10 minutes away during the cool dawn or dusk hours this week. There's a newer section with ballfields & bleachers, and an older section along the river where people fish. The new area has given up a bounty of modern coins, but precious little jewelry. The older area has decades of trash including the tops of LOTS of seamed beverage cans.
This morning I decided to try the 5" excelerator coil and see if it helped with the trash, and if it would allow me to get closer to the bleachers & bench areas. It did both. The first find was a sterling fairy ring with marcasite stones in the wings, near the aluminum bleachers that made my 11" pro coil go nuts. I hunted all around the snack bar & more bleachers, but only came up with modern coinage.
I wandered over by the river and dug the same trash as the rest of the week, until I got a weak but solid silver hit. The soil was soft and loamy here - much easier digging than the crusty ballfield, and after scooping down about 10 inches I flipped an 1898 barber quarter! Once again I got excited and checked out the surrounding area, but found all trash and no keepers.
Finally it was time to head home and as I walked back to the car I decided to follow a wooden fenceline where folks often sit & kids wait for their rides. This fenceline had produced a good bit of clad with the 11" pro coil, and I wanted to see if the 5" would separate any good targets previously masked by trash. About 15 feet from my car, I got a strange signal that jumped around depending on which direction I scanned it from. It turned out to be a thick silver ring with a flat piece of hammered copper holding a silver bezel and a Mexican opal in matrix! Kinda explains the signal jumping from the copper to the silver range.
I think I'm becoming a fan of the 5" coil for park hunting!

Attachments

• fairyring.jpg
    fairyring.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 950
  • barber-quarter.jpg
    barber-quarter.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 959
  • opalring1.jpg
    opalring1.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 970
  • opalring2.jpg
    opalring2.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 979
Upvote 0
Great looking sterling Thumblelina fairy ring, I'd love to buy something like that for my daughter someday :icon_thumright:
Interesting storyline as well.

We gave this one to reds sister!!!! Chug

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 832
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 851
Thanks for the kind words!
The fairy motif rings are pretty popular here in our artsy town. ;D
This is actually the second one I've found this year. :thumbsup:
I'm trying to figure out where the first one is to compare. I'll post a pic if I find it. :)
HH - Jay

Nice finds waterfall, I think I would reset that beautiful opal and give it your wife in a knock out setting.. fire opals are BEAUTIFULLLLLLLLLL love the fairy too..

Bootybay said:
Nice finds waterfall, I think I would reset that beautiful opal and give it your wife in a knock out setting.. fire opals are BEAUTIFULLLLLLLLLL love the fairy too..
She has other opals from when I was cutting them regularly.
Actually, she likes the setting & it fits her pinky! ;D

4-H said:
:hello:
Alright Jay!
Nice finds man.
Let me know if you want to go fight crime this week.
Cya

Mike
To the Batcave 4-H!!!

Attachments

• grayson3.jpg
    grayson3.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 405
Great story there Jay! Just saw this thread after I had sent you a pm. Fantastic finds buddy! :hello2: :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back