Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
T1.JPG T2.JPG T3.JPG T5.JPG T7.JPG T29.JPG T30.JPG Thanks for looking.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ver nice. Did you take those?

OP
OP
Kray Gelder

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ver nice. Did you take those?

Yes I did. Some years ago, I patrolled ( in a truck ) an Army Corps of Engineers dam/canal project here in SC. Brought my camera gear with. Supposed to be looking for bad guys, which I was, but also saw a lot of wildlife. When the herring or shad would stack up below the powerhouse, there would be over a hundred bald eagles, a thousand cormorants, gulls, terns, etc looking for an easy meal. I'll see if I can locate a couple pics of the feeding frenzy, and post that for you.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I did. Some years ago, I patrolled ( in a truck ) an Army Corps of Engineers dam/canal project here in SC. Brought my camera gear with. Supposed to be looking for bad guys, which I was, but also saw a lot of wildlife. When the herring or shad would stack up below the powerhouse, there would be over a hundred bald eagles, a thousand cormorants, gulls, terns, etc looking for an easy meal. I'll see if I can locate a couple pics of the feeding frenzy, and post that for you.

I go to this dam in pa thats the same way. Its amazing watching the eagles battle each other in the air for fish another one just caught.

OP
OP
Kray Gelder

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TN7.JPG TN1.jpg TN2.JPG TN3.jpg TN4.JPG TN5.JPG TN6.jpg

Here you go Tamrock

OP
OP
Kray Gelder

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for posting your amazing pictures! I enjoyed them!

Happy you enjoy them, and it was my pleasure. I've been struggling to find decent metal detecting spots, although have been beating the brush near battle sites pretty hard, but this area in the lowcountry has been hit really hard, or chewed up mining phosphates, or building subdivisions. Nothing special to share, so I thought I'd share some photos. I do have one special MDing find, from February, which once I identified it, and narrowed it down caused me great excitement as an amateur history buff, and have been researching it and associated stories for months now. It is so special, to me, and I think some others will find it interesting, that I'm working on a book, as a fiction, but the main character is a real character from the American Revolution, was involved fighting Napoleon after, was instrumental in that war, and how it ended. I will be giving his life full treatment, using his real name, in the second half. First half of this work is mostly finished, just getting ready to start second half. Been building the story in my mind, and how to approach it. A LOT of history involved, a TON of things to learn and be accurate. Never done this before, but we'll see. 150 pages so far. I'm thinking by mid 2018 I will be ready to approach a publisher.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Happy you enjoy them, and it was my pleasure. I've been struggling to find decent metal detecting spots, although have been beating the brush near battle sites pretty hard, but this area in the lowcountry has been hit really hard, or chewed up mining phosphates, or building subdivisions. Nothing special to share, so I thought I'd share some photos. I do have one special MDing find, from February, which once I identified it, and narrowed it down caused me great excitement as an amateur history buff, and have been researching it and associated stories for months now. It is so special, to me, and I think some others will find it interesting, that I'm working on a book, as a fiction, but the main character is a real character from the American Revolution, was involved fighting Napoleon after, was instrumental in that war, and how it ended. I will be giving his life full treatment, using his real name, in the second half. First half of this work is mostly finished, just getting ready to start second half. Been building the story in my mind, and how to approach it. A LOT of history involved, a TON of things to learn and be accurate. Never done this before, but we'll see. 150 pages so far. I'm thinking by mid 2018 I will be ready to approach a publisher.
Well that's really interesting! And it's got to be exciting for you.
You have been posting a lot of photos recently. They have been a joy to look through. Thanks for sharing them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kray Gelder

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it's time for an open season on cormorants!
HH
dts

dts, Interesting you should say that. The outrage by local fishermen, prompted the game dept. to have a few limited hunts on lakes Moultrie and Marion. Unfortunately, like spitting on a fire. There were and are so many of them, their roosting sites were killing huge portions of forest from their droppings. No worry, after they eat all the fish, they'll go away.
Like clockwork, they would all leave their roosts, just at first light, and head for the powerhouse. Great flocks, hundreds and hundreds. They would follow the upper canal, flying low, to the powerhouse, and reverse this at sunset. When I happened to be at the upper canal during my patrols, when it was breaking daylight, I would park and watch as the flocks would fly through the power lines draped across the water. Without fail, a half dozen or so would collide with the lines, and fall into the water. Waiting for their breakfast were always a few alligators. It was highly entertaining in a gruesome sort of way. If you go to google earth, type in Saint Stephen, Sc, you will find the powerhouse and canal, just north of town. At the far west end on the canal, you'll see the power lines referred to.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions