What's new

A few brokes, a broken drill, a nice little scraper and a PERFECT bird point

hiites

Greenie
Joined
Jan 19, 2011
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Any thoughts on types or materials?
 

Attachments

  • arrowheads 030.webp
    arrowheads 030.webp
    33.3 KB · Views: 1,071
  • Arrowheads 031.webp
    Arrowheads 031.webp
    35.4 KB · Views: 1,088
  • Arrowheads 035.webp
    Arrowheads 035.webp
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,163
  • Arrowheads 036.webp
    Arrowheads 036.webp
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,163
  • Arrowheads 032.webp
    Arrowheads 032.webp
    27.6 KB · Views: 1,162
  • Arrowheads 033.webp
    Arrowheads 033.webp
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,142
Upvote 0
The first picture is a 'heartbreaker', and the last one a wa---deleted---ta?


don't know how to type the word so the center isn't deleted~washeeta~
 
Yeah, I'm in Oklahoma. The red stuff is alibates, right? I find a fair amount of that material where I hunt. Naturegirl, the place I hunt is on the Wash!ta River so that makes sense :) Thanks for the looks.
 
A Wash!ta, and the material looks Alibates to me as well. Small points like that are really cool in my mind. Great find.
 
Yep, the reddish material is Alibates, and it came from a quarry north of modern day Amarillo, TX. Popular trade item in those days. The point is Wa$hita, from the Plains Village era, about a 1,000 years or so ago. At that time there was a village about every mile or so at one time or another along the tributaries in western Oklahoma. Trade was more established during those times than most people would think, as evidenced by the obsidian points and turquoise we found at the Duncan site near Cordell, OK. 'Bird point' is a misnomer, but we all call it that. These were regular points, and could bring down bison or deer. Check out OU's archaeological survey site and look up Dr. Richard Drass, who has done a ton of research in western Oklahoma. Great finds, and the only thing that makes me homesick for Oklahoma.
 
First pic looks like a doodle or eccentric of some type...good stuff man!
 
hiites said:
Any thoughts on types or materials?
You think the knife in your second pic. could be a Harahey or Cody knife?
Nice finds, Hiites :thumbsup: . That Alibates flint is beautiful!
 

Attachments

  • oklahoma points.webp
    oklahoma points.webp
    44.1 KB · Views: 801
As a teenager, I worked on a cattle ranch north of Amarillo. The ranch was covered in Alibates flint. Some of it boulder sized. Some stunningly beautiful, and the points were plentiful.
 
Charmin said:
hiites said:
Any thoughts on types or materials?
You think the knife in your second pic. could be a Harahey or Cody knife?
Nice finds, Hiites :thumbsup: . That Alibates flint is beautiful!
I've wondered what that one is/was. I'm just not sure. Could be some form of a knife.
Swims with Beaver said:
The first one looks like the base to a Cahokia. IMO.
I looked that up and I think you may be right! :icon_thumleft:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom