A few detector questions

Nuttdriver

Mar 9, 2008
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/stock 5"x8" coil, NEL Snake 3.5"x6.5" coil and NEL Hunter 12.5"x8.5" coil.
Shadow X2 with 4" (coin sniffer in trash), 7" and 9" coil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm finally giving up my Shadow X2 to my daughter and it's time for me to buy a new toy. ;D

I'm looking at the Tesoro Cibola and the Vaquero....maybe even the Tejon.
I mostly hunt old home sites and parks so I deal with tons of trash. Which one should I buy.
I like the idea of a ground balance knob the Vaquero has, but will I notice a difference in depth?
I love hunting the faint deep stuff.

Also, I can really clean house with the 4" coil on my X2.
I've noticed the smallest coil for the new Tesoros are 5.75"
Can I use the 4" made for the uMax on the Cibola and Vaquero?

Thanks for helping me out!!

I would go with the best one you can afford. Either one you mentioned should do well. Try this link for information on the coil http://www.tesoro.com/coils.html . My experience would tell me no on the 4" with anything other than the uMax. In my opinion the 5.75" coil should work for a small coil.

Ed D.

I'd go with the Vaquero or Tejon primarily because of the manual ground balance. In some types of soils, properly balanced, you'll get better performance and depth. The 5.75 coil is reputed to be very good in trash, but the little 4" hockey puck only fits the earlier series. The 4" will work on the current Silverumax, the Deleon and the Cortez. Also, you might watch for a clean, used Eldorado, or Bandido ll umax. Both have the manual ground balance, good sensitivity and will accept the same coils including the 4" that your Shadow X2 uses. I have made some good finds with the 4" on my Silver Sabre umax which is a twin to the Shadow X2 as well as on the Eldorado. For what it's designed for, you just can't beat that little devil. Hope this helps.
HH
Bill

I went from a Shadow X2 to a Tejon. The Tejon is a wonderful machine, much deeper than the Shadow. I couldn't believe how much stuff I missed at all of my "pounded" sites. This being said, I still grab my Shadow sometimes for a quick hunt when I get lazy and don't feel like messing with all the controls and ground balance on the Tejon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back