A few finds from the last few weeks.

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
I found a few good ones probing in the river. The Beck malting and brewing company is a Michigan bottle from Alpena and I finally found a snuff jar. Its a Weymans snuff and the web says they were the predecessor of Copenhagen snuff.

ForumRunner_20140527_015003.png

ForumRunner_20140527_015027.png

ForumRunner_20140527_015054.png

ForumRunner_20140527_015114.png

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds any day you dig a hutch is a good day. That stoneware jar is really cool.

Sent from my iPod touch using TreasureNet

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You pulling them from the river? Wow. Like dredging or diving? Nice finds- I only rarely find things whole in rivers around here. HH! Yak

OP
OP
Mich. Wolverine

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
Interesting Hutch's, Wolverine. Is the stoneware jar the snuff bottle? What are the dimensions?
Sorry I didn't give may details as that was my first post doing it on my phone. The stoneware snuff is 6" tall and 4 and a half inches at the widest part. I don't know if you can see it But Weyman's snuff is stamped into the heel of the jar.
Wolverine

OP
OP
Mich. Wolverine

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
You pulling them from the river? Wow. Like dredging or diving? Nice finds- I only rarely find things whole in rivers around here. HH! Yak
I use to find them just wading the river, but not much anymore. Now i'm finding them using a privy probe. It takes time to get use to the sound but i have found a lot of whole bottles using it the last few years.
Wolverine.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Thanks, Wolverine. I like the snuff jar. I did not see the stamp.

If you are inclined to make images for your records (as I am), you could apply some dark pigment to the debossment on the snuff jar for stronger contrast both in images and on your shelf. The pigment should be easily removable -- something like a 'burnt orange' water color pigment.

Privy probe? You might find a hay fork more efficient for probing the riverbottom . . . three or four tines versus one. I've done some of that in a river (St. Johns, in East Florida) that I really didn't want to dive. I wound up having to put my face in the water anyway! Some people hunt NA artifacts there using hay forks.

Good hunting!

OP
OP
Mich. Wolverine

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
Thank's for the info. Harry. I have used a rake but with all the sticks and rocks it's a lot more work than using a probe. With a probe I can hear the sound of glass and don't have to dig big sections of mud, sand and wood to dig when I hear what i'm looking for. For the most part I dig with my hand after I know there is glass and have a few cuts to show for it. Lol. When probing you find a lot of broken glass but until you put your hand in the sand or muck you don't know if it's whole or not and I don't want to break something good so i take my chances on getting cut. I found a nice ink well today i will post soon.
Wolverine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions