SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
A few interesting finds from yesterday's colonial hunt

Got back out with Dan yesterday to the site where we both dug cobs last week. Had a slight rain delay when we arrived at the site, but within 30 minutes we were out swinging in the expansive and beautifully groomed peanut field. Although we've dug a tremendous quantity of amazing colonial relics and coins here over the last 3-4 years and seemingly hunted the place out, it always seems to produce a few more keepers. I did a tremendous amount of walking and swinging, with very little digging until the last hour or so of the hunt, and my forearm and lower back were paying the price. My Fitbit watch was up to over 31,000 steps before the battery died about 2 hours before we finished, so that was quite a nice little walk. This peanut field is really spoiling us as its just wonderful to not have to deal with crop stubble, plus the bare dirt allows you to see all the pottery, brick, black glass and other signs of occupancy plain as day. And there were quite a few domestic or work sites in this one field, and we estimate 8-10 of them minimum. Although neither of us could put a colonial coin in our pouch yesterday, we made a few interesting recoveries none-the-less along with the usual pile of shotgun shells, buckshot, can slaw, junk brass and lead, etc. What was probably my best individual find was not even colonial, but a 2-piece CW era marine button, and it followed up the earlier 1-piece my bud Dan dug on the last hunt here. I also recovered this ornate and strange looking item that appears to be silver. At first I thought it was a button, but based on the back it's probably some kind of decorative ornament. Also dug was half of a 1600s spectacle buckle, and a large heavy button with a shank indicative of 17th century construction. And although I'm not a Native American expert, it appears I was able to eyeball a nice example of a scraper. Anyway, it was a exhausting yet fun time in the fields on an cool, overcast and fall-like day. Ready to do it again soon.

Attachments

• 101015a.jpg
    101015a.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 151
  • 101015b.jpg
    101015b.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 143
  • 101015c.jpg
    101015c.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 135
  • 101015d.jpg
    101015d.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 154
  • 101015e.jpg
    101015e.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 136
  • 101015j.jpg
    101015j.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 129
  • 101015i.jpg
    101015i.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 119
  • 101015h.jpg
    101015h.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 152
  • 101015f.jpg
    101015f.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 126
  • 101015k.jpg
    101015k.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 137
  • 101015l.jpg
    101015l.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 148
  • 101015m.jpg
    101015m.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Upvote 16

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few interesting finds from yesterday's colonial hunt

I haven't seen that button with the long shank before and that silver decorative piece is really cool. That's a nice pile of early colonial relics but I'd have to agree with you that to two-piece marine button is the winner of the day.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice pile of stuff. You have a little bit of everything there.

Looks to be a great site.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a button but part of a bell clanger.

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Bill - had fun as always and man was I sore this morning!

You know how I liked the marine button, but that last cast button or doublet really is my favorite. I think you are going to find out that it is the best thing you've dug off the farm this year.

onward to the next one.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You know how I liked the marine button, but that last cast button or doublet really is my favorite. I think you are going to find out that it is the best thing you've dug off the farm this year.

onward to the next one.

What the brass bell clanger/clapper?

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post and hunt Bill. The button is cool, but I'm really liking that silver thing... it looks pretty OLD to me with the hand etched design. The etched pattern on it reminds me of some colonial etched brass buttons I've found with the hatch marks on the edge and "sun burst" pattern at the center. Whatever it is, I like it a lot. I also spent 9 hours in the field yesterday and was averaging about 1 keeper an hour... it was slow! You got to dig a good amount of targets though and looked like a great time.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't think what that silver flower decoration attached to???

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha, learn something new every day... the dimple had me thinking some clothing, but you nailed it...OK back to liking the marine button ha ha

Its easy when you have found lots of Tudor examples. The metal type was the first thing that shouted, not button.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome day of hunting you guys had. Those are some great finds! Congrats!
I like the silver items and the scraper.
I know what you mean about back pain, mine was screaming at me to go home today and I'm saying, "just one more target...just one more!"

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunting Bill.
Glad to see you getting out on a regular basis.
Now thats alot of walking.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

onward to the next one.

I agree Dan. That big early button is a really nice find, and I haven't recovered many of those. And I'm almost positive it's 17th century as they're the exact same style as those I dug a couple years ago at a site that gave up only 1600s artifacts. A pic of 3 I recovered at that site are shown below.

early buttons.JPG

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't seen that button with the long shank before and that silver decorative piece is really cool. That's a nice pile of early colonial relics but I'd have to agree with you that to two-piece marine button is the winner of the day.

I may have to reconsider that Joey as I forgot about that large 1600s button that I really like.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Great post and hunt Bill. The button is cool, but I'm really liking that silver thing... it looks pretty OLD to me with the hand etched design. The etched pattern on it reminds me of some colonial etched brass buttons I've found with the hatch marks on the edge and "sun burst" pattern at the center. Whatever it is, I like it a lot. I also spent 9 hours in the field yesterday and was averaging about 1 keeper an hour... it was slow! You got to dig a good amount of targets though and looked like a great time.

Thanks Brad. I'm not convinced the silver piece is all that old. Might be 1800s. Hopefully Cru and remember what that thing was used for.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Great hunting Bill.
Glad to see you getting out on a regular basis.
Now thats alot of walking.

Thanks a bunch George. After sitting it out the whole summer (and watching you dig amazing stuff on a daily basis), it felt great to get out 3 times in one week. But things are going to slow down a bit as most of the fields we want to get into still have soybeans, and then deer hunting starts in early Nov that'll put a damper on things. Regardless, I'm like a little kid in a candy shop now that fall is finally here. Good luck if you get out this week.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Cru. I never would have thought that was a bell clapper, but it's fairly obvious now that you've ID'd it. Appreciate the assist ....

Everything is more obivious once you seen it, & with my mind remembered it.....

The struggle with the silver decor is that, I don't think it went on wood or leather but that thick fitment was trying to give it strength???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions