yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done a little more research (although I still haven't been able to get to the local expert to ask what they really are). Apparently there was a quarry up above the (now) reservoir where I've been hunting, and I finally found the huge old and rusted cables associated with that quarry. I assume it was a greenstone quarry, as that is the dominant rock in that area. The first pic is a big chunk of both greenstone and milky quartz (or chalcedony?) with nice dark and medium teal/green fading into the quartz. The landscaping brick can be used as a size reference.

0325151112.jpg

The next few are of various forms this stuff comes in. Some is (micro) crystalline kelly-green (epidote?) and some is typical dull greenstone with striations of other harder minerals which eventually remain as the softer greenstone wears away- leaving them raised in stripes or dots. With the normal river-tumble, these too eventually wear down leaving a striped or dotted rock. I think I'm finding red jasper up there too, but I don't think I have a pic of that. Ox-blood in hue. I'll have to get a pic next time I'm up there.

0325151110.jpg 0325151111a.jpg 0325151111b.jpg

0325151110a.jpg 0325151111.jpg

In the pic on the above right, the middle rock, interested in figuring out what the striated/grained inclusion is. Thought it might be scholr/black tourmaline, but now don't think it is.

0215151136.jpg 0215151149.jpg 0215151143.jpg

Looks like you've some strange rocks too. We are in foothills near NC border an we have some strange ones too.

Upvote 0
Strange indeed! W/ luck I'll be checking theses things out tomorrow w/ an expert!

Upvote 0
Really cool specimens! Thanks for showing! Those blackish crystals could be Schorl or maybe Actinolite?

Upvote 0
Hey Yakker, if you know of an expert around here, please share! We haven't been able to find one.

Upvote 0
Hey Yakker, if you know of an expert around here, please share! We haven't been able to find one.

Hi Shaman- There's a guy names Tony (don't have his last name right now) who has an incredible shop in Charlottesville. He came down from NY- with truckloads of specimens and equipment. He was the one who finally solved my mystery of the amazing rutilated quartz crystal I found in a local reservoir (same one I'm hunting now- at the top end)- which ended up being Brazilian. Mystery remains as to *why* it was there... Nevertheless, I later found out he's a good friend of my neighbor's son who's a mineralogist and geologist in Oregon. This Tony guy has a little shop on the north side of town in a little (little) shopping center across Rt. 29 from Lowes. This is his website: Excalibur Mineral Corporation Charlottesville, VA    (434) 964-0875       (where I've just noticed his analytical equipment is down... so I wonder if he'll be able to ID my rocks... hmm) I know this isn't really your neck of the woods, but better than nothing!

Upvote 0
I'd like better pics of the one with striations. :)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back