A few random questions...

FingerGrime

Mar 3, 2009
Kentucky
OK, I have several questions about coins that I have found...

Do you guys think this is a mint error or post-mint damage?
The front appears normal.
IMG_1575.JPG

I realize it will be hard to tell from the picture, but do you guys think this is a proof or just a very nicely struck coin?
IMG_1576.JPG
IMG_1577.JPG

Any ideas what this is? I found it a couple months ago. It is about a third as thick as a nickel.
IMG_1578.JPG
IMG_1581.JPG

Upvote 0
the nickle is just in great shape i have a 66' half like that n the unknown coin may be a reale im inexperianced with them though

coincrazed said:
fisher2 said:
the nickle is just in great shape i have a 66' half like that n the unknown coin may be a reale im inexperianced with them though
Hey!Why are you using Phrostie's old avatar? - coincrazed
Because he doesn't own it. It is one of many that can be chosen from.

http://www.randttreasures.com/Databases/Coin Collection/130.jpg
That is what my reale is supposed to look like...

I can't believe that I have had this thing sitting around for a couple months with no idea what it was. I guess I sorta figured it was some sort of really worn token.
It looks like it is of Charles III and minted in Mexico.
I really wish I could read the year on it. I might try scanning it and scrutinizing the scan, but I really doubt I will be able to get a year. Regardless that is a pretty amazing find!
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

the mint assayer is mark is FM -- should help on a date range (they changed from time to time)--- spanish silver 1 reale--- by using king's reign and overlap of mint assayers time at the mint--a possible range of manufactor can be figgered out.

I'm pretty sure it's either Charles III or Charles IV. You can see part of "Carolus" (which apparently means Charles in Spanish?) on the reale. I haven't been able to find much info on the assayers but I will keep trying. Maybe I will take a trip to the library.

I'm not quite sure what this topic has to do with Phrostie, but I found some more info on my Spanish reale. The assayers FM were active between 1772-1777 and 1785-1802. From the few letters I can read on the coin, I can tell that it was minted under either Charles III or Charles IV. I kind of doubt I will be able to pinpoint the year anymore.

Lol you must not be familiar with Coincrazed's work here.

Nice Reale, did you get that from a nickel roll?

I sure did. Pretty wild eh? Probably some sort of CRH record.
And I had no idea what it was for about three months. I just assumed it was some sort of junk.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back