Image005-11.jpg

Pant's Clip/Button
Image004-9.jpg

Image023-2.jpg

Image008-4.jpg

Picture010.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Thimble, "Oddfellows" Member's Badge?!?, and U.S. Mail Thingy?!?.
Image027.jpg

OP
OP
swizzle

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny
I've read several different pieces on this particular style heel plate. Apparently some believe that they are strictly for military use, others believe that they were for civilain use and still others don't believe its a heel plate at all. I've heard it described as an item for a hope chest or a cabinet lock plate or some other girly type item. I'd like to know for sure what it is. I personally thought it was a girly heel plate for tap dancing. Swizzle

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
shoe tap (heel)---you also have 2 types of "pants" clips to hold up your pants---up one has teeth and "clamps" the pants in between also you have a diiferant type that has a "hole" permantly attached to the pants--the button was on the "braces" and this faced the hole going in it and sliding upward holding the pants up ---Ivan

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The two below the heel plate look like the expanded jacket to a copper jacketed lead bullet. Maybe .270 to .30 caliber depending on your fingertip size.

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
yep below the heel---two bullets "mushroomed" soft lead hunting tip with the base intact-between the 270 to 30 cal range judging by finger in photo---maybe .270 or .30-30 or .30-06 bullet weight maybe---150 or 180 grain---these are some of the most popular loads in america on a % basis---Ivan

Upvote 0
T

TreasureTales

Besides the heel plate and the mushroomed bullets, I recognize the thimble in the last photo! LOL, sorry that I can't ID anything for you. You got some interesting things, that's for sure.

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picture 2 - Bullet
Picture 3 - Watch fob chain
Picture 5 - Ladies Bussell Fitting.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
swizzle

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny
I think the mushroomed bullet is to light to actually be a bullet. Its the same "bullet" just 2 pics. Its completely hollow. I'll try to take better pics later. The 2 pieces with the key hole shaped holes in them are quite small. To small to be good on a pair of britches much bigger then a baby and they are attached to rusty strips of metal. Pic numbers 6 and 7 are actually a whistle. I gotta take you guys some better pics and I'll label the ones that I know. Thanx for the help guys. Swizzle

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
swizzle said:
I think the mushroomed bullet is to light to actually be a bullet. Its the same "bullet" just 2 pics. Its completely hollow. I'll try to take better pics later. The 2 pieces with the key hole shaped holes in them are quite small. To small to be good on a pair of britches much bigger then a baby and they are attached to rusty strips of metal. Pic numbers 6 and 7 are actually a whistle. I gotta take you guys some better pics and I'll label the ones that I know. Thanx for the help guys. Swizzle

It's just the copper jacket. The lead "filling" is absent. Happens (sometimes disasterously). It is considered a failure when it does as it is more likely to wound instead of kill/penetrate that way. Also puts it from about 1890 to present.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
swizzle

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny
Also puts it from about 1890 to present.

Well I would have to guess that that is right around the right time line for the area that I'm digging. So for now I'll agree that its a copper jacket. Does anyone have a pic of what a percussion cap looks like. That is what I first thought this thing was. I just wanna see the difference between the 2. Thanx, Swizzle

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
I shoot black powder guns even humt with em during "muzzle loader" season primer caps are very small and thin not even close to that in size---what you have is the "mushroomed" outer copper coating of a bullet ---normally the lead and copper are "bonded" together and stay together--- once in a great while you have a defective one--- where the lead comes apart from the copper---bad news ---and a bit dangerous---a screwed up shot to say the least---that what you got there---trust me on this one---Ivan

Upvote 0

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
The pants or trouser clip is a suspender clip. My Pop (grandpa) had some that were leather and would either hook over a clip like that or a botton sewed inside the waist band of the trousers.

OD

Upvote 0
OP
OP
swizzle

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny
Old Dog said:
The pants or trouser clip is a suspender clip. My Pop (grandpa) had some that were leather and would either hook over a clip like that or a botton sewed inside the waist band of the trousers.

OD

Which pic are you talking about?

ivan salis said:
I shoot black powder guns even humt with em during "muzzle loader" season primer caps are very small and thin not even close to that in size---what you have is the "mushroomed" outer copper coating of a bullet ---normally the lead and copper are "bonded" together and stay together--- once in a great while you have a defective one--- where the lead comes apart from the copper---bad news ---and a bit dangerous---a screwed up shot to say the least---that what you got there---trust me on this one---Ivan

I thought that they used a large precussion cap on cannons. I know you guys are right and that its a copper jacket. I just want to get things sorted out right into my mind. I know that the percussion caps for muzzle loaders are tiny, I've fired my own quite a bit. I guess I just assumed that there was more to my little dug trinket especially since I've dug a couple of these just like the one in the pic. Maybe the acidity of the ground here is enough to corode the lead and through the spring thaw the 2 get seperated and thats why I'm not finding the whole bullet. Its definately been a nice conversation piece so far. Thanx for straightening me out. Swizzle

Upvote 0
OP
OP
swizzle

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny
irbaddadjoe said:
Heel plate,watch chain, overall clips, fireplace poker

If your refering to the last 3 pics as the fireplace poker then its missing some parts. I bought this at a yard sale mixed in with a bunch of maple taps. It's almost exactly the same size and shape as the taps. I've been wondering if it actually had anything to do with tree tapping at all. I've been wondering if someone just threw it in with the taps thinking that it looked like it belonged there. Swizzle

Upvote 0
OP
OP
swizzle

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny
Old Dog said:
swizzle,

Photo #9 down from the top

Ok I thought you were talking about the little keyhole things. Does it help anyone that the key hole things has a CB stamped on both sides of the key hole? Swizzle

Upvote 0
OP
OP
swizzle

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny
I got a couple more pics for you whatzit lovers out there. Swizzle

Attachments

• Image018.jpg
    Image018.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 353