Buttons and Bullets.... updated with new picts...

SFHunter

Feb 1, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi All,

Could use some help identifying (or aging) these buttons and bullets that I have found either at a site in Benicia, CA or a site in San Rafael, CA. Both site have history back to 1850s. (I know that does not mean that some of these items are that old, but it gives me inspiration that I can find older military relics on the west coast. (I envy the hunters in the civil war territories... :)

The first button was found in a park near a flag pole. (Public park since 1905, white history started in this area around 1848). Button is .9 inch or 23mm, back says "Pacific Button Co S.Fran. Cal"
IMG_3215s.jpg

IMG_3216s.jpg

This button was also found near the same flag pole and it is .57 inches or 14.5mm. Back says "T.N.Dale and Co."
IMG_3217s.jpg

IMG_3218s.jpg

These two buttons were found in Benicia, both measure around .6 inches or 15.5mm. Green one still has cloth on the back, the darker one is flattened and has no back...
IMG_3219s.jpg

IMG_3220s.jpg

Next, the two musket balls and 3 ringer were found in Benicia, really blew my mind as I never expected to find these here on the west coast. The balls measure around .5 inches and the bullet around .58 inches. NOTE added new pictures with quarter and a short of the bottom... This was found near an old arsenal building where I have found hundreds of cartridge bullets..
IMG_3226s.jpg

image003.jpg

image002.jpg

This button was at the San Rafael site and I could not find anything like it as the eagle does not have a scroll in its right talon. It measures around .616 inches or 15.6mm. Back is too corroded to read... It does have gold guilding (sp?) on it and has 13 stars around the eagle... added another closer shot...
IMG_3224s.jpg

IMG_3225s.jpg

image001.jpg

Last, this shell is different the all of the other shells that I have found at the Benicia site.
It is .5 inches by 2.12 inches long. Has R F 5 81 on it and it is a center fire cartridge...
IMG_3228s.jpg

IMG_3229s.jpg

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
Re: Buttons and Bullets....

First one is probably WWI...Pacific Button Co, San Francisco. Listed as Manufacturers of military, naval, railroad, transit co buttons from 1893 to 1927. Firm was owned by & co-located with B. Pasquale & Sons, military dealers. Probably didn't make buttons, but bought from Scovill. From American Military Button Makers and Dealers; Their Backmarks & Dates.

Second one looks like a General Staff Button from the CW...Thomas N. Dale & Co.,NYC. Merchants & importers from1840's to at least 1882. At 67 Liberty & later at 18 Warren. Listed in 1853 as importers of buttons. The b/m is on CW & later buttons...

T.N. Dale & Co./N.Y. is one of the backmarks.

From American Military Button Makers and Dealers; Their Backmarks & Dates.

Third and fourth look to be Great Seal buttons, once again WWI or later.

Last button in my honest opinion is a civilian button. It looks alot like the Naval buttons, but they just don't quite match up. The funky shouldered wings and straight horizontal anchor, just don't pass muster. I have seen some of these on modern blazers, so I think it has always been a popular design. Others may have differing opinions.

Yes, don't give up on old stuff. You might even find California gold coin. Just think of all the men and ships that came to CA from the east. Yes....lot's of old places.

Burt

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SFHunter

SFHunter

Feb 1, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Thanks Burt...

Can anyone tell me about the casing? What about the 3ringer, is that what is called a mini ball? and are the musket balls really musket balls?

Hoss, I am dying to find a california fractional coin considering that some were made here in my home town of Benicia...

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

wildrider is nailin' it!

Additional information about the U,S,Army Great Seal buttons...

With the adoption of the Great Seal in 1783, Army buttons begin to reflect it. By 1854 all enlisted personnel wore -- and after 1902 all personnel had -- the Great Seal button, except engineer officers, who retained their distinctive branch button. Key to dating great seal buttons is the back marks... they have been around a while!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SFHunter

SFHunter

Feb 1, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Thanks Jim,

Hey nahabit, it was your posts 1-2 years ago that got me into metal detecting. Thanks for posting in my thread!!!!

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

58 cal three ringer --hummm let me think--thinking civil war era---after the war they kept the guns around awhile since they were "paid" for already---sharps maybe? Ivan

Upvote 0

nahabit

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2006

SFHunter said:
Thanks Jim,

Hey nahabit, it was your posts 1-2 years ago that got me into metal detecting. Thanks for posting in my thread!!!!
its funny! :D

Upvote 0

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro

I don't know anything about the casing.

Can you give us another shot of the three ringer including the base and maybe drop a coin in the pic so we can relate to the size?

Guns are guns they used them before and after the wars for killing people and animals. While I would expect most would be newer due to westward expansion, I wouldn't doubt that many folks still had and used muskets.

Lots of neat stuff you have there.

Burt

Upvote 0

hasbeen

Jan 4, 2006

The shell casing appears to be an inside primed 45/70 rifle shell loaded in 1881 at Frankfort arsenal.

hasbeen

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

your Fourth one down Reminds me of a "Ruptured Duck" Pin