Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings All. I was able to get out for two short hunts over the weekend. All of the interesting finds came from the same, small patch of woods. Today was the better day as I found a civil war token. It's the " crossed flags/ star" variety. I've never dug one of these tokens in the past, so this was pretty exciting.

4.14.24 01.jpg
4.14.24 02.jpg

The highlight from Saturday was a nice colonial era flat button, and three pretty toasty Indians. I really like the design on the button. Too bad the shank was busted.

4.14.24 03.jpg

Hope everyone is enjoying the much improved weather ( at least here in New England). Cheers!

Upvote 34
Yes, any button with a design makes a great day in my book. Great finds!

Greetings All. I was able to get out for two short hunts over the weekend. All of the interesting finds came from the same, small patch of woods. Today was the better day as I found a civil war token. It's the " crossed flags/ star" variety. I've never dug one of these tokens in the past, so this was pretty exciting.

View attachment 2143570View attachment 2143571

The highlight from Saturday was a nice colonial era flat button, and three pretty toasty Indians. I really like the design on the button. Too bad the shank was busted.

View attachment 2143572
Hope everyone is enjoying the much improved weather ( at least here in New England). Cheers!
Very Cool!!!! Congrats!!!!

Those Civil War tokens are so cool, and that’s a real nice design. I don’t see them posted very often, and have only found one myself. Congrats… you sure are having a great year.

Very nice
Congratulations on your achievement
A great find from the Civil War

Nice find congratulations

Those Civil War tokens are so cool, and that’s a real nice design. I don’t see them posted very often, and have only found one myself. Congrats… you sure are having a great year.
Thanks lenmac65. Yes..I've been enjoying a great year of detecting so far. Hopefully I can keep things rolling along into the summer months!

Thanks to all for your comments. I'm very intrigued by the CW token, and want to learn more about them. Does anyone know of a good reference guide for these tokens?

Thanks to all for your comments. I'm very intrigued by the CW token, and want to learn more about them. Does anyone know of a good reference guide for these tokens?
There were countless Tokens produced - Advertising, Hard Times, Political, etc.
Yours looks like a "Political" Token.

This is an excellent site to keep Bookmarked for Token research.

Try a "Google Photo Image" search.
There are also a lot of books available on the subject.
Also, be sure to look in the Token section of the "Coin Red Book".

Good Luck !

There were countless Tokens produced - Advertising, Hard Times, Political, etc.
Yours looks like a "Political" Token.

This is an excellent site to keep Bookmarked for Token research.

Try a "Google Photo Image" search.
There are also a lot of books available on the subject.
Also, be sure to look in the Token section of the "Coin Red Book".

Good Luck !
Thanks very much for the recommendation. I'll give that site a look.

A Guide Book of Civil War Tokens--Whitman.
Check for most recent edition--there are a couple editions out there.

Congrats on the find! :thumbsup:
I've been interested in CW tokens since I was a kid.
IDK if I have that one or not. Hoping to find some myself.

I do find it curious/interesting that the token seems to be in MUCH better condition than the Indian cents. 🤨

If you like CW tokens, you might also check into Hard Times Tokens (ca. 1833-1843) Similar guide book also by Whitman. They're more half-cent sized. Both similar to--and different than--CW tokens.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back