A friend might buy this soon...

StoneHunter

May 7, 2013
NoVa
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This pot was supposedly found in a creek or river in Missouri. A friend of mine has offered the finder, his cousin, a substantial amount of money for it. I don't think it's NA but I'm no expert. 8768.jpeg 8769.jpeg 8770.jpeg 8771.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

StoneHunter

May 7, 2013
NoVa
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is definitely not a pre modern N/A pot.. believe me,

Hello HP and thanks for your reply. Could you elaborate on any specifics that tell you it's not NA? The bottom of the pot appears to have a glaze applied and the circular pattern looks as if it was applied on a potters wheel?

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I have never seen any native american pottery with decorative images like that - what appears to be a flower and a fern leaf.

I am not a pottery expert.

Its not native american if 1) its glazed, 2) its made turned on a wheel

The color swirl reminds me of a like flower pot my mom had back in the 60s when I was a youngster. Its was likely much older than the 60's.

I think most native american pottery are tempered with crushed shell or some other agent. I have a NA bowl which you can see very small shell parts in it.

it may only be an early 1900's pot lost years ago with not exhibits extreme weathering.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have never seen any native american pottery with decorative images like that - what appears to be a flower and a fern leaf.

I am not a pottery expert.

Its not native american if 1) its glazed, 2) its made turned on a wheel

The color swirl reminds me of a like flower pot my mom had back in the 60s when I was a youngster. Its was likely much older than the 60's.

I think most native american pottery are tempered with crushed shell or some other agent. I have a NA bowl which you can see very small shell parts in it.

it may only be an early 1900's pot lost years ago with not exhibits extreme weathering.

After about 1300, the Ancestral Puebloan(Anasazi) did glaze pottery, but agree that this is not an ancient Native American pot...

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also agree with the others it is not aboriginal NA artwork. It looks to me like modern 20th century folk art. The kind people make in ceramic studios. Not worth a ton. And could it have been found in a creek? Sure thing! Kids throw all kinds of stuff out.

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Based on what I’ve seen on “Antiques Roadshow”... If it could be tied to some sort of early Americana folk art, it could be quite valuable. That’s kind of like staying at a Holliday Inn.

Last edited:

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet he will be glad he did not blow a substantial amount of money to acquire it. Always good to get experienced opinions beforehand:thumbsup:

dirstscratcher

Mar 8, 2019
N.C. Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely modern, but is it even ceramic? The wavy banding looks like it may have been turned from a soft sandstone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread